Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hmmm, my wife may disagree.

Comments please on my latest ballad offering....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1C1zEpmzDo

Tasteless cheese-fest with lame playing?

Be as harsh as you like about the tune, but not my wife or kids ;) ok, ...maybe my wife

This was recorded as a thanks to her for buying me a new microphone for my Birthday.... gee what a thoughtful gift. Has it made a difference to my sound? I think its sounds fatter, but that could be just me. (probably getting fatter)

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Lovely bit of playing there Matthew, flashy looking mic too, if that's what I think it is she must really like you.

·
6,862 Posts
Sorry man, this may be just me feeling stressed, depressed and frazzled:( , but since you've asked, and asked and asked: I think you're a troll, I don't believe anything you say, and I wish you would go away.

R.

·
Banned
4,313 Posts
You're repeating the 1st eight measures in the 2nd eight for the melody. My Funny Valentine's melody goes up a minor third in the 2nd eight and has a different line in the 2nd half of the 2nd eight.

The following track has the melody well-stated, and you can hear what I mean.

http://www.alstevens.com/tunes/mp3s/myfunnyvalentine.mp3

This is just a test pressing I made playing all the parts myself to see how an arrangement I did for my dance band sounds. Please don't listen critically.

I like your alto tone.

You're wife's okay, too. And not just because she bought you a microphone.

·
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rleitch said:
Sorry man, this may be just me feeling stressed, depressed and frazzled:( , but since you've asked, and asked and asked: I think you're a troll, I don't believe anything you say, and I wish you would go away.

R.
What because I post a few tunes? sorry, I thought that was the point. Yes I ask, ask and ask for advice, because I really want it. I am not looking for platitudes. I want to improve.

If you don't ask specifics, you don't get answers. Now I see why most people don't post tunes on this site.

I use this forum, and I contribute actively to other peoples posts. I dont know what a troll is. What don't you believe? ..... Oh, don't tell me, that I have only been playing for 6 months. Do you want my Wife, Father oh, and teacher to post to testify to this? Or do you want a video testimony from them, How about my 9 year old daughter... that do for you? geez I am not that sad to lie about it.

Some people.... nice attititude

This is last time I am posting a tune here..... THANKS

·
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Al Stevens said:
You're repeating the 1st eight measures in the 2nd eight for the melody. My Funny Valentine's melody goes up a minor third in the 2nd eight and has a different line in the 2nd half of the 2nd eight.

The following track has the melody well-stated, and you can hear what I mean.

http://www.alstevens.com/tunes/mp3s/myfunnyvalentine.mp3

This is just a test pressing I made playing all the parts myself to see how an arrangement I did for my dance band sounds. Please don't listen critically.

I like your alto tone.

You're wife's okay, too. And not just because she bought you a microphone.
Thanks for this, good advice. I am still struggling to read music, so sometimes I just learn the first few bars and go off. Not really the way to go, I know...

I love your arrangement BTW, and you sure have talent to be able to play all of those instruments. I love this tune on the trumpet, it really suits it.

·
878 Posts
You play really well. I like your tone and your phrasing and interpretation of the tune. Well done. What horn and mouthpiece are using? Sounds like a Meyer?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
B***y marvellous!

I wish I had a something useful to criticise you about but I don't. If that had been a track on a ballads compilation CD I'd have been entirely happy with my purchase and so I may have to head up to Leicestershire to break all your fingers because I'm so jealous! ;)

·
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
patseguin said:
You play really well. I like your tone and your phrasing and interpretation of the tune. Well done. What horn and mouthpiece are using? Sounds like a Meyer?
Thanks Patseguin. I wish I'd got the tune "right" though as pointed out, sometimes I concentrate too much on tone and interpretation and not enough on the actual tune :D

This was recorded using a Selmer c* after my teacher persuaded me to stop using the Meyer 6M because is a bit too open for me at this stage. I am playing a Yamaha YAS-62, but to be honest I sounded the same on the YAS-275 I rented for 3 months when I started.

·
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rick Adams said:
B***y marvellous!

I wish I had a something useful to criticise you about but I don't. If that had been a track on a ballads compilation CD I'd have been entirely happy with my purchase and so I may have to head up to Leicestershire to break all your fingers because I'm so jealous! ;)
Thanks Rick, Matthew's missus here...I have just come home from work to find him feeling a little low reference previous poster's comments about him being a "troll" (not sure if that is a internet term or reference to someone who lives under a bridge and frightens goats...???) anyway, then you have posted a super comment and cheered him up...no need to break all of his fingers...he has only been playing since October last year but I think his talent (and it is a talent) comes from years of playing the jazz guitar and a lifetime of being bought up listening to music.

PS: However, my ice skating skills leave a little to be desired and our smallest daughter is kneeling on the ice as a result of watching "dancing on ice" and believing she could do all the tricks straight away!!!

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
A troll is someone who posts under false pretenses in order to stir up a dispute or cause a backlash. Tell Matthew he should take it as a huge compliment that people cannot believe he's a beginner - what's to be upset about that FFS? :shock:

And as a special dispensation I'll just break his left fingers, how's that? :)

·
878 Posts
crazydaisydoo said:
Thanks Patseguin. I wish I'd got the tune "right" though as pointed out, sometimes I concentrate too much on tone and interpretation and not enough on the actual tune :D

This was recorded using a Selmer c* after my teacher persuaded me to stop using the Meyer 6M because is a bit too open for me at this stage. I am playing a Yamaha YAS-62, but to be honest I sounded the same on the YAS-275 I rented for 3 months when I started.
I am the same exact way except maybe I try to concentrate too much on sound. I like an open contemporary sound and really work hard on it.

I didn't really analyze the tune as much as others did but my opinion of your playing stands. I'd be interested in hearing you on the Meyer 6M. I've never heard a teacher steer someone AWAY from a Meyer. I'm sure he knows what he's taling about though.

On a side note, I was a commercial arranging major at Berklee. I arranged this tune as a jazz waltz with the bridge going to a standard 4/4 swing. I should find a way to record it and post it here. I got an A+ on it. ;)

·
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am back now, just googled "troll"

I must be the worst one in history, because the last time I posted a playing clip here was 3 weeks ago, and I got 0 replies

Thanks for all your other comments though, that one knocked me a bit: You can criticize the playing all you like, in fact please do, but please don't call me a liar, and tell me to go away.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
Just a suggestion--but maybe if you would post under the thread 'post your playing here' the response would be 100% positive. I think it's under 'beginners and intermediate'. You can search and find it.

·
878 Posts
Not sure why people are being dick's towards this guy. This section is "SOTW Member Recordings". He is a member and it is a recording of him, so ***?

Any whoever called him a troll is an idiot who has no idea what he's talking about.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Matthew,

Don't be put off by that nonsense Troll comment.

I like what you are doing and have watched all your Youtube clips as a result of the first one I saw.

Considering your relatively short time playing the sax you are well ahead of the game, so just keep doing it and keep posting those clips.

·
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hakukani said:
Just a suggestion--but maybe if you would post under the thread 'post your playing here' the response would be 100% positive. I think it's under 'beginners and intermediate'. You can search and find it.
Hakukani, the thread you refer to is great, and I posted a few times early on. This thread is mainly used for members recording different versions of the same tune. For example, a few months ago it was Amsterdam After Dark, and they use a midi file to play along with. I prefer my Aebersolds. If you look at this thread on any given day it tends to be short messages back and forth about various versions of the same tune, which is quite hard to break in to. I would'nt say it is a clique, but it is certainly a bunch of very nice people helping each other learn. The sheer size of the thread makes it very hard to negotiate around.

You have replied to me, and been most helpful on previous postings on the main section here, and I would not have got your opinion in any other way.

Are we saying this section is for Professional or "studio" recordings only? in which case I apologise. If that is the case it should be more clearly indicated.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
patseguin said:
Not sure why people are being dick's towards this guy. This section is "SOTW Member Recordings". He is a member and it is a recording of him, so ***?

Any whoever called him a troll is an idiot who has no idea what he's talking about.
CDD is definitely not a troll, but for those of us that are, when we click 'new posts' and the thread is not something like 'listen to my new recording and tell me what you think', I think the appropriate thread is here--it's even a sticky:

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?t=21814&page=207

·
Registered
276 Posts
I thought it sounded good, especially after hearing you just started last year. I like the tone also. Great Job and keep up the work!!! It's always great to see people pursuing that passion, with family and work commitments. Where did you get the backing track, if I might ask?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts