Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
Looks like an old night music clip. Awesome. I love both Sonny and Cohen so nothing wrong with that for me.

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
You know, i adore Sonny and Laughing Lenny too but i found that a disappointment. To me it almost felt like Cohen (and certainly the band) were in awe of Rollins. The intro was brilliant and then when Cohen got started things fell flat. They just don't seem to match at all. To me, this kind of shows how music's all about balance and chemistry. And yet some very weird combinations do sometimes work. Thanks for clip though. V interesting.
[edit: listened again. Liked it better but the problem (i think, maybe??) is that Cohen and Rollins are just too strong as individual voices to work well together. Cohen makes Sonny sound self indulgent and Sonny makes Cohen sound dull - it's a really weird piece of footage. They're both brilliant and yet somehow the whole thing doesn't work! In My Humble Opinion..]

·
Registered
6,395 Posts
I love it, seen it several times. Two of my favortite artists. Leonard Cohen was stunningly great the one time I saw him live with an amazing band. To me its inspired and the kind of thing that made Night Music great.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,567 Posts
I remember trying to stay up or sober (I was in college) when this show was on. Every time someone posts a clip of this show I am reminded how hip this show was.

There is nothing like this at all on television now, but the Ironic thing is a show like this would totally work. People today do have a lot more eclectic taste than they did in the 1980s. Radio stations like WFUV in New York do well with just such programing.
In 2007 it has to be cheaper to produce such a show and with the Internet it has to be easier to create a buzz for this kind of show. And I noticed by flipping around on cable our demographic ( people that like good music) has to be bigger than some out there. Just a thought. Thanks for the clip Henry, very cool. Great to see Sonny in that sort of setting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts