Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I hope you guys do not consider this a stupid question, for I really would like your opinion.
I've read that high baffles pieces are relatively easy to play due to the air stream moving quickly for a long distance, making the piece respond fast.
Because of their ease to play, it is feasible to have large tip openings and long facing curves.
So would you think that a Dukoff .60 tip opening would be harder to play than an Otto Link .55 tip opening, about the same, or no real difference at all?

·
Registered
9,072 Posts
If these are for sop sax, they may have a similar resistance if they had the same facing quality other than a tip opening differnce. The Dukoff will sound much louder with the same blowing effort though. So some players may consider it as playing easier.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,067 Posts
It depends on the two mouthpiece in question. There are so many variables it's impossible to say. I will say that on tenor I like .105 tip on low rollover baffles generally and .110-.115 tips on high baffle pieces. Those play pretty similar to me. Again, it depends on the mouthpieces, facing curve, baffle heights............... Is this soprano?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts