Sax on the Web Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know quite a few of the professional members who are currently active, and at least two who have passed away---Hans Martini and Jerry Gilbert. It seems there were a lot more when I first started on SOTW several years ago. Some dislike the use of the word "professional" on this forum, but it is the appropriate title of one who does repair for a living. Tim Price is a professional player, Drakesaxprof and Hakukani are professional teachers.

The purpose of this thread is to see if there are some techs who have just been lurking here that we haven't gotten to know yet, and to find out what has happened to some like T-Bone we don't hear from anymore.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
4,702 Posts
Are you serious john, roll call, mate you really need to let this trend go.

I have no issues with the word professional either, I have issues with the word choice when it is used as a basis for class distinction, and used to segregate others

Mike - Thats a shame to hear about T-bone

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru
3,764 Posts
I'm wondering when he'll start handing out detention. :mrgreen:

John, tell us you're joking.

you are joking right????

·
Distiguished SOTW Tech
1,545 Posts
I graduated from repair school in the same class as Jerry Gilbert. I did repairs for Jerry and his shop in the last 1 1/2years before he passed. Jerry thought enough of my work to ask for my help when there were other techs he could have asked. I do not do repair full time any longer. Am I a "Pro" ? I don't Lurk.

Matt

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Hello,
I work for Horn Improvement in Mission Viejo, California. I apprenticed under Jeff Peterson and have just recently become Straubinger certified for flute and clarinet. I'd like to thank John for the opportunity to speak, it's very easy to lose one's voice on this forum. I do lurk, it's tough to get a word in edgewise when people are busy throwing rocks at each other.
-Micah Keiser

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
This is a moment when one has to ask himself....is it really in my best interest to raise my hand?

·
Registered
178 Posts
My name is Jeremy, I work with Micah at Horn Improvement. I graduated from Keyano's instrument repair school and learned from Jeff Peterson for a short time.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Hello,
I work for Horn Improvement in Mission Viejo, California. I apprenticed under Jeff Peterson and have just recently become Straubinger certified for flute and clarinet. I'd like to thank John for the opportunity to speak, it's very easy to lose one's voice on this forum. I do lurk, it's tough to get a word in edgewise when people are busy throwing rocks at each other.
-Micah Keiser
I have to agree with averageschmoe. I've been a repairman full time for 33 years. I think I have a lot to offer. But I've gone from contributor to lurker because of all of the nasty and confrontational posts. Now I just browse the forum to keep up with current trends and keep my mouth shut.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
1,532 Posts
I've been repairing full time for myself since 1996, fist did work experience in 1983. I comment here a bit but see the dangers of the forum but somehow am quite addicted & at times enjoy the benefits of learning something new here......

·
Forum Contributor 2007-2012, Distinguished SOTW Te
3,328 Posts
I make my living repairing saxophones.

This thread looked like trouble to me at first glance, but I am glad I clicked through. Its good to see and get to know members who I was not totally aware of as repairman (although I usually had my suspicions).

Please post more- the rocks won't go away, but the ratio can go down.

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I make my living repairing saxophones.

This thread looked like trouble to me at first glance, but I am glad I clicked through. Its good to see and get to know members who I was not totally aware of as repairman (although I usually had my suspicions).

Please post more- the rocks won't go away, but the ratio can go down.
My sentiments exactly Matt. I personally know of a few excellent techs who no longer participate here in the technical section on a regular basis because of the continuing acrimony that springs up when they try to share their professional expertise with others.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,715 Posts
May I politely point out that "Band Instrument Repair" is not, & never will be, a profession as the OP calls it...it is a trade carried out by artisans.
There are only three professions...The Church, Medicine & the Law....ie. those who profess to a standard before being admitted into the profession.

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
May I politely point out that "Band Instrument Repair" is not, & never will be, a profession as the OP calls it...it is a trade carried out by artisans.
There are only three professions...The Church, Medicine & the Law....ie. those who profess to a standard before being admitted into the profession.
NAPBIRT

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,715 Posts
Oh, I must have overlooked that, whatever it is.
Perhaps we should re-write the language to include NAPBIRT(!) & perhaps garage mechanics as "professions".
I do appreciate that the nuances, interstices & minutiae of the English language must be very difficult, especially, possibly, as a second language, but, if paid for a job, one does it professionally but that, ipso facto, does not make it a profession.
Words are the only means of communication here, so please try to get it right thereby enabling all of us to understand.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,261 Posts
I'm currently a repairer, but times are hard and this year I may be trying my hand at something else. I don't think I could ever give up woodwind repair though - just might not be doing it full time.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
11,501 Posts
Actually, none of those quoted are referred to as "the oldest profession" unless you consider lawyers and hookers as being in the same business.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.