Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
"Roland Alexander Lives!"

Yeah! Roland certainly lives - Although he grew up in Cambridge, he studied and plyed his trade in Boston. Roland was a prodigy and was loved and respected by musicians from all era's. A musicians musician and a gentleman's gentleman who shared his talent and his gifts with all comers. For those of you who may not know -Roland was blessed by Bird himself on the stage of The High Hat in Boston during a jam session on a sunday afternoon back in the mid-fifties. Bird would not let Roland leave the stage -but kept urging him on. I always remember Bird standing off to the side of the stage watching and listening to Roland - every time Roland took his horn out of his mouth Bird would say: "Keep on Playing little Brother, keep on blowing, it's all right!" That experience was replicated on a daily basis for the rest of his life with most of the giants of Jazz who passed his way -Oh! By the way -he was about fifteen or sixteen during that encounter with Bird. I was there for the whole set, and was equally blessed. It set a precedent that lives on to this day. For those of us who had the pleasure to have known him and played with him over the years, I can firmly say, like Bird: "Roland Lives!" He was indeed, a 'Gentle Giant!"
Daoud A. Haroon /Trombonist

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.