Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I just ordered the Aerophone Go and I'm stunned there is not a lot of information out there about this seemingly great instrument.

Does anyone have any experience with the Aerophone go?

I started this thread to talk about all things Aerophone Go. If you own one of these instruments, please post your experiences here. I will post mine here as well when I get more accustomed to the instrument.

My setup is as follows -

Roland Aerophone GO (AE-05)
Ipad 6th generation (for the Aerophone Go App)
Windows 10 laptop (usb or bluetooth connection for midi setup)

I am mostly concerned about whether the GO has any latency issues over bluetooth with the Ipad app. I heard there are unplayable latency issues with the GO and Android via bluetooth.

As a former sax player, I realize the onboard sax sounds on the GO will sound terrible so I will mainly use it as a MIDI controller to output audio sampling synths from the SWAM engine on my Windows laptop.

I mostly plan to use the GO to practice my technique, to mess around with external software to get the most accurate sounding sax possible and occasionally play with friends.

Looking forward getting to know this little instrument and to report my findings here.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I´m glad to read a thread like this. I got the aerophone go two weeks ago and I have a lot to learn about it.

Roland app has latency issues on android (even with the android cable provided). I hope an update will fix it. By the way, I´d like to know how it works on IOS (iphone or ipad).

I like this instrument to practice at home and... who knows with external sounds.

It works ok on windows with sf2 files.

Yes, I like it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I´m glad to read a thread like this. I got the aerophone go two weeks ago and I have a lot to learn about it.

Roland app has latency issues on android (even with the android cable provided). I hope an update will fix it. By the way, I´d like to know how it works on IOS (iphone or ipad).

I like this instrument to practice at home and... who knows with external sounds.

It works ok on windows with sf2 files.

Yes, I like it.

Alright, today is my first day with the Aerophone Go.

First things first. The Aerophone Go App on IOS has almost no discernable latency over Bluetooth. The sounds coming from the App were all completely usable.

I'm using the 6th generation Ipad (non-pro version), so maybe there isn't any lag because of the updated hardware? Or maybe it's just the Apple ecosystem.

I also have an older Android tablet and will test it as well when I get the chance - although there doesn't seem to be a point since the Ipad works perfectly.

There was, however, one issue I came across while using the App over bluetooth. Sometimes the sounds coming from the app would suddenly become muffled, muted and totally unusable. I'd have to switch to another voice and back and then all would return to normal. A bit annoying but I'll have to test it more to see if this problem persists.

However, I bought this thing mainly to use it as a Midi controller as I have the SWAM saxophone kit and every saxophone sounds absolutely INCREDIBLE on the Aerophone Go. Using the included USB-C cable, it works flawlessly with my Windows 10 PC. I'm using Cantabile 3.0 as a DAW for the SWAM VST plugins.

This alone makes the Aerophone Go worth the purchase price. I probably won't use the App sounds much unless I am playing outside or at a friend's house, but frankly it would not be as enjoyable. I feel like a superstar with the SWAM sounds. It's like I cheated by having perfect tonality and breath control without actually acquiring it.

More to come...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Tested the Aerophone with the iOS App again over Bluetooth. Confirmed bug on my setup. After 10-20 minutes of playing using any sound, it will get corrupted. The solution is to just switch to a different sound and go back to it and it will go back to normal. But not good if planning to use it for a performance as the sound will eventually cut off.

Not sure if this is a dealbreaker. It's cool to use the App for the additional sounds for the Aerophone, but not being able to use it for a performance due to liability issues is a bummer.

Update: The bug still happens, but if I continue to use the app longer, it doesn't glitch as often. So maybe it glitches only in the first 20 minutes of using the App before stabilizing itself. Will have to use the App for an extended period of time to determine if this is indeed the case. If so, then that's great news for people looking to use the app on iOS because without this bug, the app is perfect!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Day 3 and more tests!

If you want to connect your GO wirelessly over Bluetooth to a Windows 10 PC/Laptop and use it as a MIDI controller, read on!

First, you will need a DAW to run whatever synthsound you want. I'm using Cantabile. It has been stable for me so far.

Then once that's properly installed, watch the video below and follow the instructions exactly to the letter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfV4szNlFWM

You basically need two pieces of additional software, Loopmidi and Midiberry, both free, in order for this to work.

There is also negligible latency using the GO on a Windows 10 PC as a MIDI controller over Bluetooth LE.

DON'T buy any hardware add-ons or adapters until trying the above. Hopefully it works for others as it did for me!

When you get it to work, you are basically playing wirelessly on your GO with your favorite synthsounds. It's an absolute dream to play the Aerophone GO with perfect pitch and tone without having to work for it. It frees me up to focus on creating music or whatever else my heart desires.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Further testing the Aerophone GO with Android device over Bluetooth

My setup for testing bluetooth functionality was:

Aerophone AE-5
Lenovo Tab4 8 tablet running Android Nougat 7.1.1
Aerophone GO plus App

Test results aren't good. There is noticeable latency. If you try to play fast on the GO, the sound will lag pretty bad. It's basically unusable. Even toying around with the sounds on the App isn't fun when the lag is this bad.

Roland doesn't address this but it looks like the GO doesn't play well with any Android device period. I didn't try using a usb connection yet. That might be worth testing, although I suspect the results will be the same.

So if you are thinking about buying the GO, make sure you have an iphone/Ipad/Mac to get the best possible experience without latency.

The GO and Android is a NO GO in any form.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I have been considering buying one and was right on the fence, but this thread just shoved me over to the yes side! Will let you know when i get it and how it goes.
I am new to the MIDI world so i may have many questions.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Further testing the Aerophone GO with Android device over Bluetooth

My setup for testing bluetooth functionality was:

Aerophone AE-5
Lenovo Tab4 8 tablet running Android Nougat 7.1.1
Aerophone GO plus App

Test results aren't good. There is noticeable latency. If you try to play fast on the GO, the sound will lag pretty bad. It's basically unusable. Even toying around with the sounds on the App isn't fun when the lag is this bad.

Roland doesn't address this but it looks like the GO doesn't play well with any Android device period. I didn't try using a usb connection yet. That might be worth testing, although I suspect the results will be the same.

So if you are thinking about buying the GO, make sure you have an iphone/Ipad/Mac to get the best possible experience without latency.

The GO and Android is a NO GO in any form.
Bluetooth lag is a feature of the technology, there is nothing you can really do about it. I can't speak for the AE-05 but over USB, there is no noticeable latency.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Day 3 and more tests!

If you want to connect your GO wirelessly over Bluetooth to a Windows 10 PC/Laptop and use it as a MIDI controller, read on!

First, you will need a DAW to run whatever synthsound you want. I'm using Cantabile. It has been stable for me so far.

Then once that's properly installed, watch the video below and follow the instructions exactly to the letter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfV4szNlFWM

You basically need two pieces of additional software, Loopmidi and Midiberry, both free, in order for this to work.

There is also negligible latency using the GO on a Windows 10 PC as a MIDI controller over Bluetooth LE.

DON'T buy any hardware add-ons or adapters until trying the above. Hopefully it works for others as it did for me!

When you get it to work, you are basically playing wirelessly on your GO with your favorite synthsounds. It's an absolute dream to play the Aerophone GO with perfect pitch and tone without having to work for it. It frees me up to focus on creating music or whatever else my heart desires.
Yes, it works! Bye bye, android!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bluetooth lag is a feature of the technology, there is nothing you can really do about it. I can't speak for the AE-05 but over USB, there is no noticeable latency.
Maybe so, but that doesn't explain why using the GO over Bluetooth is without latency when played using my IPAD or using my Windows laptop but with lots of latency on Android. To me, it’s a matter of poor optimization with Android.

Did you mean to say that you were able to get the GO to work on Android using a USB cable without latency? If so, that's great! I will have to test it out myself.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have been considering buying one and was right on the fence, but this thread just shoved me over to the yes side! Will let you know when i get it and how it goes.
I am new to the MIDI world so i may have many questions.
I'm not an expert as I just started playing around with MIDI when I bought the GO! If something doesn't work, I am stuck. I can only report what works and what doesn't work for me.

However, I will try my best to answer questions within the scope of my ability.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, it works! Bye bye, android!

Perfect! Glad to hear it worked for you. Yes, bye bye Android. It's a world of difference experiencing the GO this way.

I was jamming on my GO in my room completely wireless sounding like Dexter Gordon. It felt AWESOME. Now I just need to invest in some proper headphones.

It makes the GO seem respectable instead of it being an overpriced toy.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just to give you an idea what the GO sounds like as a MIDI/Breath controller using high quality saxophone sounds, here is a recording I made after 1 day messing around with the GO. My technique is crap I know. I haven’t played a sax in 20 years. To my ears, i can not tell the difference between th SWAM tenor saxophone and an acoustic tenor sax.

https://soundcloud.com/morphologic_chris/jazzsax1-1

I am sure a proper sax player could make this thing sing.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Just to give you an idea what the GO sounds like as a MIDI/Breath controller using high quality saxophone sounds, here is a recording I made after 1 day messing around with the GO. My technique is crap I know. I haven’t played a sax in 20 years. To my ears, i can not tell the difference between th SWAM tenor saxophone and an acoustic tenor sax.

https://soundcloud.com/morphologic_chris/jazzsax1-1

I am sure a proper sax player could make this thing sing.
Impressive sound if you haven't played sax in 20 years. ;):D

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Maybe so, but that doesn't explain why using the GO over Bluetooth is without latency when played using my IPAD or using my Windows laptop but with lots of latency on Android. To me, it’s a matter of poor optimization with Android.

Did you mean to say that you were able to get the GO to work on Android using a USB cable without latency? If so, that's great! I will have to test it out myself.
No, I did not mean to say that, I was strictly referring to BT latency in general. I have BT headphones and the lag is terrible regardless of what I connect to. Arguably, BT has gotten much better in the last few years but anything more than a few milliseconds is noticeable.

On Android, it may also depend on the specific device, not all Androids are created equal

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So in my quest to be completely wireless, I bought wireless headphones.

I had read a lot of bad things about bluetooth headphones and latency so I instead went with a wireless gaming headset which uses a USB receiver. Not bluetooth. The result was stellar. There is minimal latency. I am now able to play the GO without any wires using the SWAM saxophone sounds. I can freely move around the house and practice while being completely silent.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm just catching up to this thread, after some extended discussion of the GO at the patchman forum. I want to confirm everything Chris Yannick says here, especially concerning the outstanding quality of sound you can get using the GO to control a softsynth with the SWAM saxophones. It's just incredible how good this is.

And yes, if your plan is to use the added sounds--and synth--on the GO Plus app, handle with caution. Understand that the external app is actually acting as both synth and output device. You have to turn the volume off on the horn itself, or else it'll continue playing. So if you're idea is to use the app for performance, you'll need to find a reliable way to pipe the sound from the exterenal device to a speaker; it doesn't play back through the horn in any way. And if the external device is an Android phone, at this time you can forget about it. It just doesn't work well enough to bother with. An Android tablet with a cable USB connection to the GO, and an aux output to a speaker, seems to work, now that Chris has done some testing.

If you're trying to use an iPhone without a headphone jack, I don't know how you'll get the sound into a speaker. Maybe someone has figured that out.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
An Android tablet with a cable USB connection to the GO, and an aux output to a speaker, seems to work, now that Chris has done some testing.
Yes, I tested the following setup:

Aerophone GO
Lenovo tab4 8 tablet running Android 7.1.1
Aerophone GO plus App
USB connnection

The app ran as intended with low latency. Bluetooth, however, is a different story as I've mentioned before. If you want minimal lag with bluetooth, best to use the App with an iOS device.

I didn't test with an aux. speaker. I can try that next, though, on my next run through.

However, I still find that the Aerophone GO's best use to be as a wind controller outputting softsounds through a PC/MAC wirelessly. This is my go to setup and I don't play any other way.

As a former sax player who doesn't own a real saxophone, I need authentic sounds to keep me invested in playing the Aerophone since the onboard harmonica-ish Aerophone sounds are an absolute joke. It completely puts me out of the playing mood if that makes any sense. I refuse to play the instrument at all unless I am using good, authentic saxophone sounds.

I was able to tweak the SWAM tenor saxophone to emulate a very good sounding Selmer Mark VI. Of course very discerning ears can tell that it's not a real Mark 6, but amateur players like myself can not. One of these days, when I become a better player, I'll put out a side by side comparison.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I got a bit ahead of myself and decided to make the comparison demo between me playing on the Aerophone GO with the SWAM sounds and a professional playing on a Selmer Mark VI.

https://soundcloud.com/morphologic_chris/saxcompare1

We are playing the same notes on the same backing track.

I think it's obvious which one is me playing on the Aerophone GO and which is the real sax professional playing on the Mark VI. I can't match the professional player's quality of expression and articulation obviously, but I still thought it's worth comparing the sounds. I rather like how the SWAM saxophone sounds.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts