Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
Sorry if the subject has already been treated but I have not found it ...
The question is simple: I own an EWI AKAI 5000s and a Roland Fantom XR expander with the sounds of Patchman (Roland FANTOM XR, X6, X7, X8 Soundbanks) and I analyze more and more the possibilities and demos of "Roland AE-10 Aerophone ". Is the Roland AE-10 Aerophone is interesting in terms of performance but especially on-board patches ? Is it worth giving up the EWI 5000 to the "Roland AE-10 Aerophone" ?
Thank you all.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Hi Dricouns,
welcome to the forum!
I know nothing about EWIs, but I know that I would never change a running system that I am used to to an unknown device. I watched some demos of the AE-10 and wasnt't impressed of the sounds. For practicing sax it may be a cool instrument with the onboard sound and palmkey fingerings.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Taragot
Sorry for the late response...
Indeed, I have resolved to keep a system that I know and that works!
Thank you for this suggestion.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had the EWI USB for 5 years and the 5000 for 3 and my personal opinion is that the USB is much better than the 5000. The 5000 on board patches are horrible and I was misled thinking that the wireless system of the 5000 was MIDI but after buying it I found out that its only Stereo Sound Wireless, NO MIDI. SO the patches are useless and so is the MIDI. Im in the process of selling my 5000 and I already bought the Aerophone which hopefully will arrive next week. I spend more than 1 year of research to arrive to my decision for the AE-10, I'm sure it will be much better than the 5000.

·
Registered
18 Posts
As an EWI 4000S owner since 2008... I would recommend the AE-10 just for the real sax fingering.

Previosly I had the Yamaha WX5 and I always missed that feature SO MUCH!!

Personally I have zero interest in the EWI 5000 right now. I would like to see an AE-10 in black matte finish, though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just wanted to jump in here regarding MIDI and wireless... My son has been starting on Sax, so I found your posts because I am considering an EWI for him to also have for practicing... he is on Tenor, and brings it home infrequently (when he is with me) and not at all at his moms (not allowed on bus ... grrr).
Anyhow... several people mention MIDI... and I... coming from a tech, AV, and IT background want to point out a few options separate from what the manufacturers are doing (although I am surprised they aren't doing it themselves)....
Although I dont have a direct link to post... it should be fairly easy to use a Raspberry PI Zero, with a battery pack (or even the power from the EWI USB) and either USB or USB MIDI, or a MIDI "HAT", and send the EWI's MIDI over wifi (or bluetooth) via rtpMIDI to any Mac, PC, DAW, or even another PI which outputs via the same method.
The Raspberry PI Zero is VERY small, and potentially the hat, if built right, would probably almost hold it to the bottom of some EWIs.
So there are some keywords.... enjoy hacking it!! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts