Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the Roland AE-10 would be a good tool for dexterity improvement while traveling, home late at night, etc when playing a sax just isn’t possible for wife/kids/life reasons?

As an adult recreational player I’m looking for any and all ways to squeeze in more practice at night and in hotel rooms etc.

Thoughts from anyone who knows...

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Does anyone know if the Roland AE-10 would be a good tool for dexterity improvement while traveling, home late at night, etc when playing a sax just isn’t possible for wife/kids/life reasons?

As an adult recreational player I’m looking for any and all ways to squeeze in more practice at night and in hotel rooms etc.

It depends on what you want. Here are a few observations

- The fingering is similar to that of a saxophone but not exactly the same, for example the G# key when held will keep the tone at G# even if you go up to A or Bb, B so you need to release it. It is good practice anyway.
- The overall ergonomics are close to that of a sax but the position of the hands is going to be different. Not a big deal but it is not a 1:1 translation
- The saxophone sounds are a bit Fisher-Pricey, far from a real sax
- The plethora of possibilities, especially the synth sounds will cause you to get lost in goofing off instead of practicing
- Your wife will kick you out if you take it to bed with you and play over the headphones - especially if you wake her up and say honey, you need to listen to this ....
- Your kids will think you are a freak and your dogs will have a similar opinion
- On business travel when you have meetings the next day, you'll be falling asleep as soon as the first PPT slide is shown because you were up until 3:00 am

In other words, not a good choice :) :) :) :evil:

·
Registered
168 Posts
I got the aerophone go (ae-05) to practice at home any time and I think it was a very good idea.

And it is always ready to play (no ligature, no neck, no pads to keep dry).

By the way, I´ve never held the G# key when it´s not needed.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I got the aerophone go (ae-05) to practice at home any time and I think it was a very good idea.

And it is always ready to play (no ligature, no neck, no pads to keep dry).

By the way, I´ve never held the G# key when it´s not needed.
+1

Holding the G# key comes in handy when you play some of the "concert scales" like C or Amin and is just something I noticed on the AE-10

·
Registered
105 Posts

Definitely! Having gone full circle, over a 40 year period, from tenor, alto, clarinet to Lyricon, WX 11, WX 5, EWE 5000, AE 10 and then back to tenor , alto ,clarinet, I find that the AE helps me to work on woodsheding. I have used to it to cover Bari, trombone and trumpet in a big band and in a smaller all original jazz group using soft synth sounds on my MacBook. As I transition back to acoustic it’s role has change to supporting my acoustic. The original jazz groups prefers the new v.3 internal patches so I am getting away from the MacBook for giging. For example I will spend the next two days working on the set list for the gig in 3 days. I have recordings of all the tunes that I play my part with so it is like going to rehearsal in my man cave. Have sheet music and audio tracks in foreScore on my iPad. Use AE and head phones into a mixer For silent practice. When I practice acoustic I have to go the opposite side of the house into the bathroom and close all doors between me and the boss of the house who must watch cooking shows or designer contests at vol 28.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts

I recently got an AE-10 and have found it great for travel and quiet practice, exactly the uses you seem to be talking about.

It has limitations on sounds and it is easy (at first) to waste time on playing around and such, but it has its uses, and it sounds like it might work for you as it does for me. When I’m at my girlfirend’s place, it enables me to practice without bothering her. And it’s a good size for taking on trips.

You can also hide from the kids and dog by playing in another room, etc. Agreed that you should not play this in bed with another.

I was lucky to get a hardly used one at a great price, and expect there may be other deals out there.

If you’re looking for a mark vi sound, this is not it. But if you want a practice tool for times a real sax won’t work, then I think it’s great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts