Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I wanted to upgrade my microphone setup and after reading some positive reviews I decided to buy one of these. Luckilly I had an opportunity to try them both at the same time. Here is how they sounds:
https://youtu.be/zlazJ30H0I4
I chose the Rode over the AKG. Please share your thoughts.

·
Registered
716 Posts
The Rode is brighter and beefier, which I like. I preferred it. I have a feeling the AKG would sound better on something like a bass clarinet, where you want a darker sound.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I have the AKG C214 and am happy with it, but I'm far from an expert on microphones. Don't you want a fairly neutral one that you can post-process with a good EQ anyway?

I did also slightly prefer the Rode in your video though.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I have the Rode NT2A and like it a lot for many different things. But I've not used the AKG C214before, only it's bigger, more expensive brother the C414, which is in a whole other class of microphones.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I have the Rode NT2A and like it a lot for many different things. But I've not used the AKG C214before, only it's bigger, more expensive brother the C414, which is in a whole other class of microphones.
Actually I've understood that 214 is the same as the 414 besides you can't change pattern?

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
Actually I've understood that 214 is the same as the 414 besides you can't change pattern?
I daresay that they use the same capsule, or capsules that are not up to snuff for a 414, but I'm also sure that the electronics are not the same as a 414.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I had a Rode NT2A and switched to a AKG 214. Never looked back, however both are good. NT2A brighter as I remember. Not really complimenting a Sax depending on your setup.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The C214 has a little more energy both in the presence region and the lows which I find especially beneficial on the tenor - gives it a lot of presence and size. I'm torn on which one I like more on alto! Either way, both sound great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts