Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got a gig to play saxophone for midnight showings of the Rocky Horror Show at a local gay bar. Despite being 17 and still in high school, my parents are pretty cool (don't tell them I said that) and are letting me take this... unusual gig. However, if you are familiar with Rocky, you know that the sax parts demand some screaming altissimo. Between that and the intense volumes at which I have to play to be heard over the drums and guitar, I am blowing through my reeds like crazy. I've gone through about a reed every two shows so far. Is this normal? I just kind of developed my altissimo range this year and haven't played a show that demands those high notes before but reeds are expensive and it would be nice if there was a solution to my problem.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2016
14,025 Posts
Get a synthetic they give great altissimo and DONT wear out. Try a Hahn they can be great screamers.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
28,564 Posts
There are plenty of folks that play screaming altissimo and don't shred their reeds. The trick is... they don't bite them.
Yes, finesse it. Still, probably because I was never a great altissimo enthusiast, I found that altissimo takes away some reed quality; but one week's use as opposed to a two-weeks use/ratio, rather than two shows and it's gone. The synthetic thing might do it if you need longivity rather than quality.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,466 Posts
just use harder reeds....almost everybody uses too soft reeds....and tone suffers, in every range, with soft reeds.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
28,564 Posts
........and tone suffers, in every range, with soft reeds.
It's all relative, of courese, what's soft for one guy might be too hard for another. [Personally, I wouldn't sacrifice my sound at the expense of using a harder reed for getting the altissimo. I had no problem getting up to C4 using a #2 LaVoz on a 7* metal Link. But, then again, I didn't aspire to be a Lenny Pickett.]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts