Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a rock solid practice routine that takes roughly an hour or so, when I don't have much time.
Thanks in advance,
Phill

·
Premium Member
15,489 Posts
You would have to give some background information for anyone to be of real assistance here.
Are you a beginner, an intermediate player, or an advanced player? What type of music are you playing?

·
Registered
517 Posts
I have a book of licks and phrases laid out in random order so that you can learn a few phrases daily in various keys then combine them to make longer phrases. The material uses Jazz Language in a easy to learn fun way of playing them. The purpose of the book is to hear jazz music as an actual language. There are definitely many other options for learning music fundamentals available. Using my approach is fun and easy. The advanced jazz language and theory is embedded in the material without having to over think it. After learning with fundamental material adding my book helps make the music sing thru the instrument in meaningful,thoughtful expression. The player is not just learning notes, he or she is learning musical expressions that are easy to remember. It's like learning words to a song, but instead you're learning words to licks and phrases. My book is good for players who can read musical notes, follow scale degree numbers and read the English language. Hopefully material from the book can be added to your practice routine. There are also other good options to be found right here on SOTW.
"Easy Easy Bebop" Book on Amazon

·
Registered
57 Posts
I mean what you should be doing is asking yourself what your goals are. What are your strengths? What are are your weaknesses? To me, that hour of focused practice should be on your weaknesses to turn them into strengths. Once you determine your weakness then come back here with those specific goals. Your post is a little too ambiguous. Practicing just to practice is a waste. Develop goals, then develop a plan to reach those goals,and then execute.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I mean what you should be doing is asking yourself what your goals are. What are your strengths? What are are your weaknesses? To me, that hour of focused practice should be on your weaknesses to turn them into strengths. Once you determine your weakness then come back here with those specific goals. Your post is a little too ambiguous. Practicing just to practice is a waste. Develop goals, then develop a plan to reach those goals,and then execute.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
To Clarify,
I have played trombone for close to ten years, and have recently picked up the tenor. I'm pretty much a total beginner. Wondering what to practice, as in fundamentals?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,386 Posts
I have my students playing long tones, and overtones and scales with on line metronome and a tuner on the stand. If you can't play in good time with good tone and intonation you will not be able to do group playing. (unless you don't care. there is that) I'd search the forum IM sure you'll find 15 or 20 ideas on what to do and how long. Also Get a tone idol. Someone you love their sound and listen to them for a couple minutes at least before you start playing. a couple of minutes of mouth piece playing is good also. Or you could be like me and pay 60 an hour for a killer Skype lesson. I do it every week on alto and flute and don't regret the money at all. You just don't know what you don't know K

1 - 6 of 6 Posts