Sax on the Web Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

Distinguished SOTW Member
+100 to this!

Add Red Prysock to that list as well. And all the jump blues guys from Louis Jordan on forward. Jr Walker too of course.
@Rafas has a Instagram account on his profile. Looks like he鈥檚 under 20. Red is going to be a hard sell. The 80s is real popular with that age group right now. I think Clemons and Walker are more likely choices. Bobby Keys too.

Reactions: Rafas

Registered
Discussion Starter #23
Good to know. I originally thought Arundo Donax was our SOTW friend's actual name. He talks about his eastern European heritage from time to time so I just assumed it was his name. Hahah. Turns out its the genus/species name of the cane plant used for reeds. Doh!

On the original topic, John Laughter will most certainly have some additions to your list. Have you downloaded his list of rock n rollers?
No, because I preferred rock rather than rock 'n' roll

haha that's true. Thanks for your help!
welcome !
My daughter turned 20 two months ago. She is good a keeping dad up to date.
Play what you like and keep it fun. Still the old school masters have a lot to learn from. Many of the rock players learned from them.
Good luck on your music journey.

Registered
Discussion Starter #28
welcome !
My daughter turned 20 two months ago. She is good a keeping dad up to date.
Play what you like and keep it fun. Still the old school masters have a lot to learn from. Many of the rock players learned from them.
Good luck on your music journey.
I totally agree with you!!! This playlist is just for fun. The old masters - such as Coltrane - are invaluable and very important!
Saxophone Greetings from Greece,
Raphael

PS-If you want you can follow me at Instagram

Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008
You really need some Morphine on that list! EVERYTHING they did uses baritone sax in place of guitar!

Registered
This is what I heard when around 11 years old, 5 years later I started getting paid for singing, and I've always wanted sax like this in the old Rockabilly/50s stuff I've played but never had it yet.

SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
This one I've been playing for years, without saxophone!
Yeah, Brian Seltzer band is great! That's one example of the jump blues style rock & roll I was talking about. It's a shame you've been doing it for years without a sax player! Prior to Covid, when I had a band, we played a lot of this stuff, with the sax (me).

But the OP implied he's not interested in that. Only in "rock." It was unfortunate for us sax players when they took the "roll" out of rock & roll. There's a saying: "It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing" :)

Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor

Registered
Reading back, I do see a comment about liking rock and not rock n roll, but that doesn't make sense at all. I don't know what is on his list, as he posted to Spotify, not here, so how are we to know what his definition is? Did you ever hear a Tenor Sax swinging like a rusty axe?

Why not?

I could add quite a few more but I'm way too modest.
Three is the charm. The dead links are edited out.

Quit being so modest and add one. Post the selection @Rafas can pick the one 馃ぃ

Reactions: Rafas
21 - 40 of 40 Posts