Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to hear newer bands (last 20 years) that mix rock and roll with saxophone, because that's the direction I see myself going. What bands fit this role, that I can listen to for inspiration to keep me giong? So far the only one on my list is Dave Matthews Band.

Thanks.

·
SOTW Columnist/ Forum Contributor 2014, Disti
2,983 Posts
Electra, if you would like a list of Top 40 hits from 1955-1998 which lists the bands and individual musicians who feature sax in their songs, send an email and I will send a 56 page WORD document thast might be of interest. Dave Matthews is included. [email protected]

·
Prodigal Son and Forum Contributor 2008
10,792 Posts
Joey the Saint said:
Check out Morphine.
Wow, Morphine! My band (a blues band at the time) opened for one of Morphine's first gigs at "Edible Rex" in Billerica back in the mid eighties. My guitarists and bassist were wise crackin' on the "Bass player with only two strings." Sandman didn't need any strings, he could have sung it.:cool:

That was a great band. Life's too short.:cry:

We used to cover "Honey White." Great song.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Acoustic Ladyland acoustic ladyland and acoustic ladyland. pete wareham is a living legend. www.acousticladyland.com . see what you think (go to the music section and download it). theyre british though, and americans dont seem to realise that London is where the most innovative jazz in the world is going on.

·
SOTW Interviews/Editor, Distinguished SOTW Member,
1,218 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
A song I really like is Urgent by Foreigner. It has a sax solo in it, i'm a beginner myself so I don't know many! Sorry but i hope you like it! :)

·
SOTW Interviews/Editor, Distinguished SOTW Member,
1,218 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you want to know a huge list of ska bands (rock band with a horn section if you didnt know... im assuming most people here do) i'll send you a ton with the songs that have some great sax solos.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,404 Posts
Sting has Branford playing on his most of his albums since Dream of the Blue Turtles, which came out in '84 (I think). Very sophisticated, not necessarily raw, but super awesome. I'm not really into Clarence Clemons.

Steely Dan has always had some of the best sax players in the world in their bands, all the way up to present.

Tower Of Power.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts