Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a bari mouthpiece that is bright, something like the guy in George Thorogood and the Destroyers uses. I want that raw power that's in your face. Any suggestions?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 20
4,849 Posts
saxo44 said:
I'm looking for a bari mouthpiece that is bright, something like the guy in George Thorogood and the Destroyers uses. I want that raw power that's in your face. Any suggestions?
Yanagisawa metal.

·
SOTW Columnist/ Forum Contributor 2014, Disti
3,039 Posts
dirty, did you switch from the metalite to the Runyon Custom Quantum? If so, why and which model is it on the Runyon page?
http://www.runyonproducts.com/baritone.html
I have really enjoyed the M9 metalite. Tried two plastic Runyons about 4 years ago but had some issues with low A and getting mega volume in general. I sent it to Paul Coats and he fixed the low A siuation but the volume was still less than the metalite. Tried ordering the Berg to try it but WW&BW says it is not longer made in the 130/0.

MonchMan, what opening are you using?

·
Registered
729 Posts
saxo44,give Lamberson DD model a try.I own/have tried most bright bari pieces mentioned on this thread (except metal yanagisawa and ponzol rubber which have lower baffles than Lamberson DD) and,for me,Lamberson DD is a clear winner.Best projection and bright,yet warm sound.I use Lamb DDs on all horns except sop (yet).Check them out

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
gsaxman100 said:
Jody Jazz ESP with the spoiler in really wails too.
OMG yes! That's what I use for Tower of Power-type horn section gigs. (and to be honest, big band jazz too, to make sure the horn gets HEARD!) The ESP with spoiler makes me sound kinda Ronnie Cuber-ish, which for Rock aint a bad thing.

Also, Runyon fans probably know that many JodyJazz pieces are based on Runyon designs. For example, based on a personal side-by-side visual inspection and playtest, the JJ classic soprano is THE SAME MOUTHPIECE as an older Runyon (hard rubber). This might explain why either would be a good choice to try.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.