Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a bari mouthpiece that is bright, something like the guy in George Thorogood and the Destroyers uses. I want that raw power that's in your face. Any suggestions?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 20
4,842 Posts
saxo44 said:
I'm looking for a bari mouthpiece that is bright, something like the guy in George Thorogood and the Destroyers uses. I want that raw power that's in your face. Any suggestions?
Yanagisawa metal.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
which guy with Thorogood, Hank Carter played tenor and alto. plays a SS Berg 95/1 on tenor, not sure on alto (only really used on the solo for BTTB).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
Try a Rico Metalite, Berg, Dukoff, etc. Anything bright on tenor should be bright on bari.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,891 Posts
Oh no, I gotta say, the metal berg 0 or 1 chamber is best, better than the quantum

·
SOTW Columnist/ Forum Contributor 2014, Disti
2,783 Posts
dirty, did you switch from the metalite to the Runyon Custom Quantum? If so, why and which model is it on the Runyon page?
http://www.runyonproducts.com/baritone.html
I have really enjoyed the M9 metalite. Tried two plastic Runyons about 4 years ago but had some issues with low A and getting mega volume in general. I sent it to Paul Coats and he fixed the low A siuation but the volume was still less than the metalite. Tried ordering the Berg to try it but WW&BW says it is not longer made in the 130/0.

MonchMan, what opening are you using?

·
Registered
729 Posts
saxo44,give Lamberson DD model a try.I own/have tried most bright bari pieces mentioned on this thread (except metal yanagisawa and ponzol rubber which have lower baffles than Lamberson DD) and,for me,Lamberson DD is a clear winner.Best projection and bright,yet warm sound.I use Lamb DDs on all horns except sop (yet).Check them out

·
Forum Contributor 2016, The official SOTW Little S
5,472 Posts
Make sure you really have a spoiler. It's not considered cheating in those kinds of bands.

·
2,960 Posts
the ponzelcustom is high baff mps and as loud as can be yet comfy to play. best i have ever played

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
gsaxman100 said:
Jody Jazz ESP with the spoiler in really wails too.
OMG yes! That's what I use for Tower of Power-type horn section gigs. (and to be honest, big band jazz too, to make sure the horn gets HEARD!) The ESP with spoiler makes me sound kinda Ronnie Cuber-ish, which for Rock aint a bad thing.

Also, Runyon fans probably know that many JodyJazz pieces are based on Runyon designs. For example, based on a personal side-by-side visual inspection and playtest, the JJ classic soprano is THE SAME MOUTHPIECE as an older Runyon (hard rubber). This might explain why either would be a good choice to try.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,921 Posts
RPC (custom) is the best baritone mouthpiece I've found for in your face. Bright? Yes but it's also probably the most versatile mouthpiece out there. hard to get, there's a two month waiting list usually.

·
2,960 Posts
it pains me to see jody getting rich off the generosity and genius of santy

1 - 20 of 25 Posts