Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I've been thinking of getting a new mpc for funk/rock/blues/soul stuff. I'm playing on a Jody ESP 7 and, don't get me wrong, it's absolutely fantastic. I'm just looking for something brighter and able to cut through a band.

Any suggestions?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
3,286 Posts
What's your budget? I play blues/soul/rock, and happily use a Wanne Durga 9. Never found anything even close.

·
Administrator
17,296 Posts
Phil Barone has a MPC for Rock/Fushion, it's the most bright one of all his pieces. I have one on the shelf (a 9*), but don't play it because I prefer the darker sound of (vintage) Otto Links, which are also good for playing in loud environment (if you give them enough air!).

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
The only one I've liked in this style so far is a Strathon with the adjustable baffle. Unfortunately they're hard to come by.

·
Registered
840 Posts
You might want to check out one of Aaron Drakes new metal pieces out. They are on his site with soundclips. Both of the ones offered sound like they would be well suited

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,118 Posts
When I tried an ESP, I thought it was like a good Berg (with the spoiler). If that isn't cutting it for you, try one of the other high-baffle pieces. You might like the Guardalas, pretty cheap from WWBW. RPC 115B will cut through anything, but it's hard rubber if that matters to you. No need to throw a ton of money at something like a Durga, maybe try his newer, much cheaper Datta model. 7 is kinda' small for funk/rock, just going to a bigger tip will probably help...

·
Registered
181 Posts
First the sound I'm going for is as close as I can humanly get to Wilton Felder from the Crusaders in the 70's (Every child has a dream)

My main piece is a Guardala MBII from Nadir in Germany; I also have a Wanne Kali 8 which is very similiar with a little more depth and a little easier blowing. Both are very accessible top to bottom (I'm only good to G-3)

I also have a Guardala Super King (Nadir) which offers a little more resistance than the MBII; and finally I just picked up a new Dukoff SPC 9 which really cuts but I'm having a little control issue on the G-3. I just got it so it may just be getting used to it. We're all different. In my case I have an under bite which has an impact on my embroschure.

Can't really go wrong with any of these pieces.

I use Harry Hartman Fiberreed MH (3) on these pieces. I started with MS but after a while they would close off on me when I needed them most. My primary horn is a Selmer SA 80 Series II with a Karsten Glogger thin wall silver neck.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
RPC 115 B or larger tip.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,315 Posts
Ponzol m2 plus stainless.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Long tones