Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I've been thinking of getting a new mpc for funk/rock/blues/soul stuff. I'm playing on a Jody ESP 7 and, don't get me wrong, it's absolutely fantastic. I'm just looking for something brighter and able to cut through a band.

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
18,642 Posts
Phil Barone has a MPC for Rock/Fushion, it's the most bright one of all his pieces. I have one on the shelf (a 9*), but don't play it because I prefer the darker sound of (vintage) Otto Links, which are also good for playing in loud environment (if you give them enough air!).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,120 Posts
When I tried an ESP, I thought it was like a good Berg (with the spoiler). If that isn't cutting it for you, try one of the other high-baffle pieces. You might like the Guardalas, pretty cheap from WWBW. RPC 115B will cut through anything, but it's hard rubber if that matters to you. No need to throw a ton of money at something like a Durga, maybe try his newer, much cheaper Datta model. 7 is kinda' small for funk/rock, just going to a bigger tip will probably help...

·
Registered
212 Posts
First the sound I'm going for is as close as I can humanly get to Wilton Felder from the Crusaders in the 70's (Every child has a dream)

My main piece is a Guardala MBII from Nadir in Germany; I also have a Wanne Kali 8 which is very similiar with a little more depth and a little easier blowing. Both are very accessible top to bottom (I'm only good to G-3)

I also have a Guardala Super King (Nadir) which offers a little more resistance than the MBII; and finally I just picked up a new Dukoff SPC 9 which really cuts but I'm having a little control issue on the G-3. I just got it so it may just be getting used to it. We're all different. In my case I have an under bite which has an impact on my embroschure.

Can't really go wrong with any of these pieces.

I use Harry Hartman Fiberreed MH (3) on these pieces. I started with MS but after a while they would close off on me when I needed them most. My primary horn is a Selmer SA 80 Series II with a Karsten Glogger thin wall silver neck.

·
Super Moderator
26,313 Posts
RPC 115 B or larger tip.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,331 Posts
Ponzol m2 plus stainless.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts