Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Welcome Greggy. Jody Jazz DV 7* - Effortless to control, powerful fat huge rich sound with great bottom, .108 facing. SR Technologies Fusion a wonderful piece also with similar characteristics, .108 facing. Dukoff will work & are loud, but they can be harsh from my experience. Guardala Studio or Kings are great too but the facings are at .115.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,471 Posts
I play on a Berg Larsen 110/2, but have been wanting something brighter, so I've been messing around with a Metalite M7. I like the edgy fatness of the Berg, which can be moderately dark when I play soft, but gets some real bite when I push it hard. On the other hand, I like the volume, the r&b cut and grit and the easy, easy altissimo that I've been getting out of the Metalite.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I have a Guardala MB handmade that I love. But get similar results with my old trusty Berg Larson 110/2 SMS metal or a Vandoren V16 T95. All with Vandoren ZZ #2.5 or Rico Platicover #2.5 on a Selmer MK VI 104XXX horn. Playin´Rock/Funk/Blues since 30 years now.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Arb 7 Custom Klemmer model (standard lig) and Plasticover reeds, size 4.

Just because Klemmer chooses to go experimental with it, does not mean it can't cut rock and funk.

If you can find one, you'll get the same grunt as set ups 5 times the price.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Get the mouthpiece first. Ligature depends on the mouthpiece. For me it´s a standard selmer 404 two screw lig on the guardala. Original lig on the berg and optimum vandoren on the V16.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
greggy245-

My $0.02 is that playing blues/funk/R&B stuff is MUCH more about attitude than equipment. As an example, this past Saturday night I used a Link Tone Edge 7* with LaVoz mediums (on a Keilwerth SX-90R tenor) on a two horn gig with a band that played R&B, swing and funk. This set-up worked just fine and gave me the full, dark sound I prefer. No, I can't be heard above the drums, keys and guitar with being mic'd, but since I am mic'd, its all OK.

If you do a search, you can find lots of folks on this forum who use similar set-ups for this type of music. Also, check out Sax Gordon Beadle...on all but his newest recording he used a Link STM 9 or 9* (no added baffle) and Rico 4s (last time I saw Gordon, he was using a RPC 120R with a VERY small added baffle). Gordon can go from a King Curtis/Jr. Walker sort of sound to a Ben Webster sub-tone all in the same song because his set-up is so flexible.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
24,350 Posts
Bob M said:
(last time I saw Gordon, he was using a RPC 120R with a VERY small added baffle). Gordon can go from a King Curtis/Jr. Walker sort of sound to a Ben Webster sub-tone all in the same song because his set-up is so flexible.
The RPC is just the sort of mpc that will facilitate this kind of flexibility.

Hey, wasn't there a really long-lasting thread on this topic somewhere? Maybe in the Rock & Roll section? A search might be useful. Or maybe not, since you'll get so many recommendations, you won't know where to start. I agree, attitude is important. A relatively large tip opening and some baffle (don't need an extreme one) will help; the rest is up to you.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
same old story

I always find it interesting each time i read or hear that soemone is asking which setup will do what. I used to play a yamaha YTS 23 and 4c mouthpiece and get a relativly bright r/b esq sound. but the volume was soemthing holding me back. Now i'm helping out a girl in my old school r/b band and she is using the same horn and mouthpiece and getting a much darker and very appealing tone. So this is an example of each individual person having there own sound and how it can be possible to get a variety of sounds out of practically any setup. Right now i'm playing on a beg larson 115/2 SMS and it gives me the sound i want. But with the same piece i can change the colour of my tone and get something different. Sometimes looking to new equipment isnt the answer

·
Registered
593 Posts
I found that if u r not ready to have that kind of sound (that's me), mpc wont really help. i have a friend playing otto link 7 but sounds like bob malach and he plays damme cuttuing and full. guess what reed he's using...... size 2 reed.

i'm using a DV by the way, i'm still playing like stan getz .........: ( ***** maybe is just me******

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,471 Posts
I just tried some Plasticovers and a Bari Plastic reed on my Berg. The plasticovers are nice, but the big surprise is the Bari reed. For me, it's much, much fuller than the Fibracells I've tried, with real power, cut and complexity in the tone. I like it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sometimes is the cheapest the best

I've been playing tenor sax for more than 25 years now. I started with a selmer C2 stars mouthpiece.. After a few years I wanted to play Jazz and Blues so I needed the roughest sounding mouthpiece that there was on the market en I bought a bobby dukoff M6. It produced a lot of power but unfortunately was also made of a material that didn't last for long. So I was looking for a new one. I went to the store with the feeling that, when I left there I was gone be a poor man.
I tried out several brands so as Selmer, Berg larson, Beechler, Lawton, but I went home with the cheapest of them al "Vandoren T75 jumbo". This mouthpiece can play very loud en rough and it is easy to play soft or with a lot of air ( like Stan Getz). I'm playing with it now for over 4 years en happy with my choice. Reed Rico Royal 3.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.