Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again,
I'm looking for some info on an alto mouthpiece I came across recently, it is marked:
ROC (I'm assuming this is for Republic of China)
Britone
PAT. IN GT. BRIT. & ABROAD
Made In England
There are also 4 stars (****) next to the face. It has a silver ring around the base and a very oddly carved baffle. It plays very bright and quite warmly as well, any info would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
75 Posts
There was some discussion on this mouthpiece in the old forum..this link came up:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=R...8&[email protected]&rnum=1

also check the "Complete Thread" link, quite amusing, if you haven't read it that is..:)

I have one just like yours, I just had the opportunity to compare it with a current production Meyer 8M Medium Chamber, and the Britone blows similar to what you've described.

I couldn't justify nor confirm Ralph's analysis (the above link) with my personal findings, due to the different tip openings between the two and the bad leaks on my alto, and I play primarily tenor, and of course the honeymoon period with the Meyer.. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WOW!! That was a crazy thread. Very very funny indeed. I might have to get rid of this mouthpiece, it seems to cause way too much trouble :lol:
Thanks for the link too,
Adam

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just bought one of these on ebay out of curiosity and can't believe my luck. The richest, punchiest sound I've ever had. Terrific bite and brightness but strong in the low register. I was hoping it would be quiet for home practice but it's reasonably loud and so rich I can't bear to mute it in any way so I've had to apologise to the neighbours. I love this mouthpiece! Best sound I ever had - I only wish I had had it when I was working full time.

·
Registered
543 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
hello....i have found this site, by sheer coincidence, because i was searching for information on the internet, regarding the ROC mouthpieces.
i would like to make everyone aware of the fact that the ROC mouthpiece, was manufactured by a company that my Grandfather set up in the UK. therefore some people are correct in saying, that as far as i am aware, there are no ties to the Republic Of China. if anyone would like to know any further information about this mouthpiece, then i would be more than glad to help them out.

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,757 Posts
neanyboy said:
hello....i have found this site, by sheer coincidence, because i was searching for information on the internet, regarding the ROC mouthpieces.
i would like to make everyone aware of the fact that the ROC mouthpiece, was manufactured by a company that my Grandfather set up in the UK. therefore some people are correct in saying, that as far as i am aware, there are no ties to the Republic Of China. if anyone would like to know any further information about this mouthpiece, then i would be more than glad to help them out.
Yeah, we are interested. Any info you can share would really be appreciated. That's part of the point of the forum - to make as much information available as possible so the next person coming along looking for it finds something.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you email me at [email protected], i will answer as many questions as i can, any i that i am unable to, my father will know the answers to, as he spent time building these mouthpieces.
i will also get as much information as i can up on this forum in the next few days. So keep checking!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,033 Posts
I'll look forward to these posts as I have both an alto I was given and a tenor my father used for many years.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
Years ago a buddy of mine had a bag full of tenor mouthpieces that he let me pick and choose from for trial. It had one of these in there, but alas, I didn't try it. Wish I had. When he moved we went back and looked thru his stuff but it wasn't there.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
1,530 Posts
They are made in england and I thought the company also made brilhart under licence from the real brilhart company. There was the britone and also the round chamber fulltone. The trad jazz guys in australia still love those pieces.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Hi.To all you ROC fans.A friend of mine Dave at. MIR-SALES.CO.UK has bought all the remaining stock of these pieces and has them for sale in all facings Alto, Tenor, and Clarinet,Hope this helps.Racer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
roc mouthpiece

hi all,
i have just bought one of these mouthpieces for my 1982 yam 62 tenor and have to say that it is a really really great mouthpiece!!! i think if you find either a horn or mouthpiece/reed combo that you can play and rip up as you love to,and the audience enjoy, then surely that is worth more than any tech mumbo jumbo or purism! play from the heart and soul and i think that it will come out in your sound! sure you need a resonable set up,but you really dont need to spend thousands to get a great sound for you! great mouthpieces! keep an eye out for the oddballs and give them a try!!

si

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
404 Posts
robbo345 said:
Hi again,
I'm looking for some info on an alto mouthpiece I came across recently, it is marked:
ROC (I'm assuming this is for Republic of China)
Britone
PAT. IN GT. BRIT. & ABROAD
Made In England
There are also 4 stars (****) next to the face. It has a silver ring around the base and a very oddly carved baffle. It plays very bright and quite warmly as well, any info would be appreciated, thanks.
Republic of China wouldn't make sense, especially since it says Made in England...read the mouthpiece.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have an ROC mouthpiece for Alto, I was going to part with it but having tried it on my Aristocrat have decided to keep it.
It plays easier than the vintage Burg Larson I use and that is a very good mouthpiece. It was made by an English Co.
There is a photo of one on the MouthPiece Museum Web site.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I thought I'd take the opportunity to clear up some of the myths surrounding ROC Mouthpieces

The ROC Instrument Co. was found in 1947 by my father, Norman, and his colleage Harry. Harry left ROC some time later, possibly in the 50's, to persue a very successful career in plastics.

The name ROC has NOTHING to do with the Republic of China or Rudall O.Cocker, but according to Norman and Harry came about as a van passed thier window bearing the name "Rubery Owen Company", ROC. The figure in the ROC logo is of course the mythical bird in Sinbad the Sailor.

Roc was also responsible for the manufacture of mouthpieces for a number of other brands i.e. Brilhart, hence the simillarity of three of four makes.

Barry

Former MD ROC Instrument Co.Ltd.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,871 Posts
I thought I'd take the opportunity to clear up some of the myths surrounding ROC Mouthpieces

The ROC Instrument Co. was found in 1947 by my father, Norman, and his colleage Harry. Harry left ROC some time later, possibly in the 50's, to persue a very successful career in plastics.

The name ROC has NOTHING to do with the Republic of China or Rudall O.Cocker, but according to Norman and Harry came about as a van passed thier window bearing the name "Rubery Owen Company", ROC. The figure in the ROC logo is of course the mythical bird in Sinbad the Sailor.

Roc was also responsible for the manufacture of mouthpieces for a number of other brands i.e. Brilhart, hence the simillarity of three of four makes.

Barry

Former MD ROC Instrument Co.Ltd.
Welcome to the Forum!
Really nice to get that kind of info first hand :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Thanks, Barry!

The ROC Britone is an amazing mouthpiece. When i was playing jazz and did tenor-drums duets, the drum had to be miked, because tenor was a LOT louder :). And, amazingly enough, Britone can also play very subtle and airy, and it is very easy to control.
Unfortunately, my Britone is almost dead, and i really must buy another one or two...preferrably "new"...
Any idea, Barry?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts