Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone played the Roberto's Winds tenor sax yet? I'm wondering how it stacks up against the orig. Yamaha 62. I have access to a used 62 for the same cost as the RW.

C

·
0 Posts
Dave is right. Also to consider, years later Roberto's Wind may not be in business anymore. This could make spare parts hard to come by. I'll bet Yamaha will be here.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Toobz said:
Dave is right. Also to consider, years later Roberto's Wind may not be in business anymore. This could make spare parts hard to come by. I'll bet Yamaha will be here.
It's got to be the same cheap Chinese horn that everybody else puts their name on, so spare parts shouldn't be a problem. These horns are spare parts out of the box.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Has anyone played the Roberto's Winds tenor sax yet? I'm wondering how it stacks up against the orig. Yamaha 62. I have access to a used 62 for the same cost as the RW.
I played one at Roberto's shop recently---the pro model that's about $3000, in lacquered brass. I liked the Mark VI's I tried better, but they didn't put Roberto's to shame. Very consistent tone throughout all registers, reminded me a little bit of the (few) recent Selmer's I've tried. Good middle-of-the-road tone, very stable, with some buzz to it but not as bright as my Yamaha (YTS-23 student model). I found it a bit less responsive than the Selmers, and the tone less complex. Reminded me of a more modern Selmer I played recently (Serie II 54 Dir tenor...)...there was something slightly "tame" about that Selmer that this shared, though I found Roberto's a bit more open, less complex, more straightforward than the Ser. III, not necessarily a bad thing. Very solid sound, but somehow not as focused and as flexible as the VI's. I didn't feel I was able to get as great a range of tone qualities out of it as I could out of the VI's, either. This is all very subjective... bottom line is, seems worth trying.

I asked, and was told that indeed it is made in Taiwan. I think it's definitely worth checking out if you're in NYC and in the market for a sax... I would NOT buy it without playing it, of course.

As for me... I now want one of those Mark VIs.... but those prices... what to do...?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts