Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Roberto's Winds
149 West 46th Street New York, NY 10036
Toll free: (888) 7676-SAX
Phone: (212) 391-1315
Phone: (646) 366-0240
Fax: (212) 840-7224

http://www.robertoswinds.com

I just wanted to extend some kudos to Roberto's Winds in NYC. I've heard and read much about them over the past couple of years, but hadn't had the opportunity to use them. I commute into NYC a couple of days a month, and decided to bring my horns (alto, tenor & sop) in for maintenance and a couple of other repairs (2 new neck corks, and resizing of 3 necks). I couldn't be happier. I spoke with Tony in repair a few days earlier, and arranged it with him that he'd be able to work on all three horns and get them back to me the same day. He was extremely professional and did great repair work. I also had a chance to chat with Roberto for a few minutes, and he seems like a very nice guy. The shop itself is like a sax candy store with all sorts of horns, mouthpieces and other horn paraphernalia on display. This is a new location for Roberto's and they also have several rehearsal studio rooms available there. They offered me the opportunity to play test my horns after the repairs, but I was running late and didn't have time. The best part of all was the reasonable price they charged me for the work. All in all, a great shop that I'd highly recommend.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
87 Posts
I whole-heartedly agree with you on everything except the charges. His products are one of the upper priced I've come to know. But maybe b/c you get the best "candy" there and the place is awesome everywhere. I guess when you're that good, you can charge higher prices for horns and products and still get paid. If anyone is ever in NYC go check out that place, it definately will over-stimulate all your senses...
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
Joined
·
1,263 Posts
yeah, I don't call $65 to change a low C pad on a Yamaha Custom alto reasonable (happened to me in 2005.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
552 Posts
A few years ago I bought an crappy overpriced SBA alto that was avertised as " Fully overhauled by roberto " when I got it most of the pads had never been changed from the original and they where black and rock soild . , because of this the intonation was horrible and it took another $400 on top of the already overpriced price to fix the pads and the horn still played like crap after this , I then sold it for less than half of what I paid and bought a mark vi .

but on the positive side ,the best horn I have ever played was at roberto's -- (a gold plated 225,xxx Mark Vi alto )
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
Joined
·
6,260 Posts
fballatore said:
Roberto's Winds
149 West 46th Street New York, NY 10036
Toll free: (888) 7676-SAX
Phone: (212) 391-1315
Phone: (646) 366-0240
Fax: (212) 840-7224

http://www.robertoswinds.com

I just wanted to extend some kudos to Roberto's Winds in NYC. I've heard and read much about them over the past couple of years, but hadn't had the opportunity to use them. I commute into NYC a couple of days a month, and decided to bring my horns (alto, tenor & sop) in for maintenance and a couple of other repairs (2 new neck corks, and resizing of 3 necks). I couldn't be happier. I spoke with Tony in repair a few days earlier, and arranged it with him that he'd be able to work on all three horns and get them back to me the same day. He was extremely professional and did great repair work. I also had a chance to chat with Roberto for a few minutes, and he seems like a very nice guy. snip; edit.
I couldn't agree more...Roberto is the last of the midtown NYC legendary saxophone repair guys. WHO...learned from a master. Roberto came to NYC and sat aside of the great Saul Fromkin who was one of the greats. Saul knew things and had the touch...Roberto has stepped out and also has the most complete " hard to find" ...selection of reeds like Rigotti, Alexander, Queen, Daniels, everything Rico, Vandoren Hand Selects plus his own brand as well.

I've seen every type player dealt with from Roberto in a one to one manner.
From students of mine that were just kids to legendary pros & guys that should be legendary pros that Roberto introduced to me and gave me the heads up to rap to and check out. If Roberto works on your horn, he's good for the good, bad and ugly of it. He stands behind his work- all you need to do is talk to HIM !! He is there to help all saxophone players- ask him.

IT'S A ROUGH EXISTANCE IN MIDTOWN NYC AND ROBERTO IS GIVING IT A GREAT SHOT AND TRYING HIS BEST. Things are expensive like rents/tax and all that- I admire him for giving the music community something personal and something a human being cares about. Roberto cares and if he didn't you'd never see stuff in there like Borgani saxes or vintage Donlets and freaky-saxual one of a kind horns that raise yuor hearbeat.:)

Yea- Roberto is a hard worker and great person that I'm proud to call a friend as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
683 Posts
Yeah, I bought a great VI tenor from him in 94' which I paid $4200(definitely top dollar back then which I didn't mind paying for a great horn) and the key guard for the side F# popped off a week or two after I brought the horn home. I brought it back to Roberto and he soldered it back on and proceeded to drip solder down the side of the horn and was like "oh well". I was pretty pissed and he didn't offer so much as an apology. I was pretty baffled by that and needless to say I haven't dealt with him again. Maybe because my name isn't Stanley Turrentine or Bob Berg he didn't give a s&%t.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
432 Posts
I agree with Tim. I've been a customer for about ten years, and when I need a quick repair Roberto often does it on the spot for little or no cost. As Tim says, he treats players of all levels as equals, and even brings them all together every year for a holiday party at the pub downstairs. I used to pop into the store all the time when I worked nearby, now I'm there less frequently. But I got to know the great Tim Price (as well as several othter fine players, many of whom work for Roberto) simply by hanging around the shop and practice rooms, and you just don't get that at other places. I wouldn't think of giving anyone else my business (and if Roberto's prices are a little higher, it's because overhead in New York is higher than anywhere else).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
832 Posts
Roberto saved my *** big time in '99. I went on a jazz cruise for a week, and as the week progressed my horn got more and more out, so that by the time I got home Friday night it was basically unplayable. The problem was that Saturday at noon I had a record date, my first as a leader. Needless to say, I didn't get much sleep that night. The next morning, I called my regular repairman, but he didn't come in on Saturdays. Then I called Roberto. I told him what was happening, and without pausing he says "just get over here as soon as you can and i'll take care of it". He stopped everything he was doing, and in about an hour, he really took care of it. The horn was tight as a drum, and played great at the date (I can't say the same for me, but that's a whole other story). If it hadn't been for him, I don't know what would have happened... well, actually I do, I would have been f**ked. I'm not saying he's perfect, i've heard a fair amount of stories like DTExpress' through the years, but the way he came through for me when I really needed him, i'll never forget it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
More Kudos for Roberto's

Just have to say that my experience there a couple of days ago was spectacular. They guys in the store bent over backwards to help me out. I bought a Dukoff Hollywood while I was there. A couple days afterwards, I went back to have my neck cork resized, and they didn't charge me for it. While some of their prices are perhaps high, that is the price you pay as a consumer to be able to walk in and play on so much equipment....most of which is difficult to find anywhere else. You will not find such a shop in Los Angeles, that's for sure! Thanks Robertos!

Tom Luer
www.tomluer.com
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
6,862 Posts
LJ said:
Just have to say that my experience there a couple of days ago was spectacular. They guys in the store bent over backwards to help me out. I bought a Dukoff Hollywood while I was there. A couple days afterwards, I went back to have my neck cork resized, and they didn't charge me for it. While some of their prices are perhaps high, that is the price you pay as a consumer to be able to walk in and play on so much equipment....most of which is difficult to find anywhere else. You will not find such a shop in Los Angeles, that's for sure! Thanks Robertos!
Tom Luer
www.tomluer.com
Cool! did you try that silver Borgani tenor by any chance--very interesting!

Rory
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Rory,

Didn't try the Borgani. No need to tempt myself with anything but my VI!!! Besides, I was on a mouthpiece mission. Tried some great stuff there. I really liked one of the Ted Klum pieces, but I settled on the Dukoff Hollywood.
Tom Luer
www.tomluer.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,901 Posts
DaBari said:
I whole-heartedly agree with you on everything except the charges. His products are one of the upper priced I've come to know. But maybe b/c you get the best "candy" there and the place is awesome everywhere. I guess when you're that good, you can charge higher prices for horns and products and still get paid. If anyone is ever in NYC go check out that place, it definately will over-stimulate all your senses...
You have to understand his NYC rent must be through the roof. Phil
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top