Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I recently purchased a used Roberto Winds NYC intermediate alto saxophone and I wanted to share my impressions about it. It seems to be very carefully crafted, the engraving looks great. There's no cheapo feel at all. The case is sturdy with a very professional look (Made in Taiwan). The mouthpiece is decent. Keywork feels great, with the right springs tension. Intonation is great, I guess it's better than in my current backup saxophone (Jupiter JAS-769). The tone is very similar to Yamaha YAS-62III ("62" neck) tone, I didn't compare them side by side but I'm planning to record a couple clips comparing the alto saxophones I have now (Roberto Winds, Buescher Aristocrat 140, Jupiter JAS-769, Jupiter JAS-869, Yamaha YAS-62S and Yamaha YAS-62III).

I tried to find information about these saxophones and I had no luck, I understand that are a bit pricier, the model I purchased retails at $1995 new:
https://www.robertoswinds.com/collections/alto-saxophone/products/rw-saxophone-alto-intermediate
I paid a lot less for a used one.

I was also unable to find where this saxophone was made, Taiwan seems to be the most possible origin because the price point but that information is not available.

Do you have experiences with these saxophones? Do you have more information about where are they made?

Thank you very much in advance.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,951 Posts
I am glad you like yours.

I actually had the opportunity to put one of these on my workbench, it belonged to a friend who had it on a buy trial. This was 2 years ago, the horn was brand new.

He liked the horn quite a bit, how it blew and how it felt. I am not certain it was the $2g model or the $3.5g one; as he was shopping for a pro horn at the time and already owned a few, I would posit he didn't choose the 'intermediate' $2g one. But I really cannot say for sure.

I do not mean to be a wet blanket, but once on the bench, I found it not very impressive in build quality; particularly precision of build. There was a fair amount of key play, which there should not have been for a brand new horn. The pivot screws and/or post threads were not very precise, which usually makes for eventual bad news if not attended to.

The horn also had mechanical leaks, due to improper adjustment, regulation.

I am glad you like the tone, I found it to be uninspiring....for a new model horn, for example, I felt that a Buffet 400 or a Jupiter Artist series horn actually both sound much richer and lusher, and their quality of build to be superior.

All things mentioned, minus sonic signature, can of course be corrected by a tech...but in a $2g+ alto...brand new, coming from a shop which specializes in woodwinds and charges $150/hr. for their own tech work...the horn should not have exhibited these issues, IMHO.

Again, sorry....and perhaps in the past 18 months they have corrected some things....but I found nothing particularly impressive about the one which came across my path. But again, use it in good health, and enjoy.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
I had much the same impression as JayeLD. I found the key fitting to be subpar and was disappointed in the choice of materials at linkage points. My expectation was that someone with his "reputation" would be more up to date when "setting up" a saxophone---especially one bearing his name.

·
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much for sharing your experiences.

Since I bought it used I'm not able to assess the quality of a brand new item. It's true I found and fixed key play issues and leaks but I thought these were related to the previous use, when I said "It seems to be very carefully crafted" I was talking about soldering work and finishing. Certainly, these issues are unacceptable in a brand new $2000 saxophone because there are a lot of serious contenders in the $1000-$2000 range. I noticed about the uninspiring tone but I always considered it a trade off with the tone evenness/responsiveness, a lot of people refer to the Yamaha tone as being uninspiring, maybe that's what I found in this saxophone's tone.

Do you know where these saxophones are produced?

·
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,876 Posts
Do you know where these saxophones are produced?
Most likely in China. Not that being made in China is a bad thing...just that a lot of people seem to have preconceptions that these days are not justified.

·
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not much of a difference but I seem to like the JAS869 best
That's true! I was using mostly the JAS-769 but after doing these recordings I'm reconsidering it. BTW, yesterday I used the JAS-869 instead the JAS-769 in a big band concert.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts