Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last summer I bought a metal mouthpiece from William Bua here on SOTW that neither of us had ever heard of. On the mouthpiece is says "Robert Vinson Quincy Ill Custom Made". There is also a "5" on the side of it which I'm assuming is for the facing. I was curious if anyone here had ever heard of these pieces before?

A quick search turned up someone asking a similar question regarding a soprano piece. I bought this piece before I knew much about mouthpieces, and needed something loud for a buddy's rock band. I just assumed metal equaled loud. Well, with this piece that is true. I hadn't had the time to learn to truly control it until recently. I gotta say, for $30, i got a deal. With a rovner lig, and RJS 3m, it can be pretty easily controlled and manipulated. When pushed, you could chop an oak tree with this piece! Another thing that surprised me about this piece was that it was surprisingly in tune.

So the whole point of this post is to post a very brief review of the piece, and ask if anyone else has ever heard of them?

·
Registered
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
4,776 Posts
I believe I'm that other person that had asked about a Robert Vinson soprano piece. I still have mine and it still plays like it used to, at a medium bright tone with a fair amount of resistance. It has a huge gash on the teeth lying area that I believe could be slightly attributed to the amount of resistance I have through it, but I like it nonetheless. I tried to contact Robert Vinson himself about this mouthpiece but never received a reply.

Anyways, hopefully your asking turns up more than mine.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Ha! Yeah, I know "Robert Vinson." I grew up in Quincy, IL and used to hang out at his shop all the time, Quincy School Music. The creator is actually Gus Rieckhoff. The brand is a pseudonym combining the names of Gus Rieckhoff's son and a former student. You can read more about Gus here: http://www.whig.com/story/news/Gus-Rieckhoff-50-years-080910.

In the 90s he created a popular ligature, a single screw rubber thing, I believe called the Equatone by Robert Vinson. I think it was that that got him into mouthpiece "making." As far as I understood him (and remember from when I was 15), he had a factory make the mouthpiece and he then sold without any further finishing. I had one of his alto pieces, a Berg type piece. He is much older now and his business has slowed, and wars with the Quincy School Board have stamped out some of Gus's earlier chutzpah. He is not good about returning calls/communication for a variety of reasons. He is oddly controversial in the small town and I think he thinks people are after him. He sold those mouthpieces new at around $150 back in the day, and at the time, most of the saxophone/clarinet players in town owned some of Rieckhoff's equipment.

Despite his reclusiveness, once you get him talking you'll be stuck in his shop for an hour. He has preserved the history of his rise and "gentle lowering" well with newspaper clips. He's had an interesting career as a teacher and entrepreneur. I always stop by when I'm back in town.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,759 Posts
I use the Vinson lig on my clarinet and much prefer it to Rovners.

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
I much agree, thanks for the information Vivace! I thought my piece seemed a little untouched. I need to send this metal Vinson piece to a good refacer and have him epoxy the gash and open the sucker up!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I got a Tenor Robert Vinson marked 110 for something like $65. It plays well, a little bright, came with a Berg Larsen ligature. It has medium high baffle and reminds me quite a bit of a SR Tech Pro I had. It probably outplays it too. Decent range low and high. Just nothing really special about it. Another ok run of the mill type piece. Would be good for those occassions you don't want to worry about your "vintage" link.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
11,501 Posts
Don't look at me... my middle name is Robert, but I was named after my grandfather and my uncle and neither they nor I make mouthpieces.

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
lol, wanna try my piece jr?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I've been playing with the Equa Tone log on alto and quite like it... fugly looking as it is.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts