Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the Equa-tone ligature any good? At seventeen bucks it would be a steal. I like the convenience of only a single screw, and the fact that there's not much in the way material contacting the mpiece or the reed, and no metal to scratch the mpiece body, either. But how does it compare to the proven brands (Oleg, FL, etc.)?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
raeburn said:
Is the Equa-tone ligature any good? At seventeen bucks it would be a steal. I like the convenience of only a single screw, and the fact that there's not much in the way material contacting the mpiece or the reed, and no metal to scratch the mpiece body, either. But how does it compare to the proven brands (Oleg, FL, etc.)?

Thanks.
I tried one compared to a standard two-screw, Optimum, Olegature and Rovner and found it to be by far the worst of all of them. This was for clarinet and I thought the Optimum was head and shoulders above the rest.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I bought one for my son on the advice of Chitownjazz and my son really likes it. It works well for both Standard Size and Slim Line mouthpieces. It is a shade tight on one large profile mpc he has. It was $14.50 at weinermusic.com, and well worth a try at that price.

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,733 Posts
This is my main ligature, but I (and now 3 Olive's son) may be the only ones on this forum who use them. I actually prefer two-screw ligs but this one works well for me. I'm not sure, but I think maybe more that minimizing the reed contact the idea might be to have the lig contact the sides of the reed. Anyway, at $15 from Weiner with free shipping with a large order, why not give one a try some time?

·
Registered
12 Posts
chitownjazz said:
Anyway, at $15 from Weiner with free shipping with a large order, why not give one a try some time?
Actually right now through the end of May, Weiner's has FREE SHIPPING. However I found that I needed some other stuff in addition to ligs for my Tenor and Clarinet. :colors: So I would've gotten free shipping anyways!

I will let you know what I think of the ligs when they come in, but I'm feeling it has to be better than those Rovner and Rovner-type ligs. I am finding that I HATE that particular style :x perhaps because I grew up playing 25 years ago with the more trad style ligs! :?

Alex

1 - 6 of 6 Posts