Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Listening to an album called "In the moment" by a fellow Norwegian, the great drummer Carl Størmer, I just discovered a tenor player called Rob Scheps. Holy moses - what a heavy saxophonist. A lot of soul in his playing. I am surprised this kind of hefty player is not mentioned more often in this forum. Anyway, I am very happy about this discovery. I wonder (the compulsory question at SOTW...), whatever setup he is using? ... well aware that the setup probably has nothing to do with this kind of soulful playing.
Also, check out that album mentioned - great musicianship involved there...
Greetings from Norway
Bjorn

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
Rob is fantastic--one of the best. He plays quite a bit in both NYC and Portland--his two "home" bases--as well as frequent tours through the Midwest, esp. Kansas City and Iowa.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,153 Posts
Seconded - Rob was my teacher for a few months in the '90s. He was intense.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,761 Posts
Some decent recent videos at YouTube of his big band.

Example:
(tenor solo starts circa 2:30: ).

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
Recent live performance from Rob with Greg Gisbert on trumpet and Bob Bowman on bass.

Go here to iTunesU.drake.edu > News and Events > Drake Music

I play alto on two tunes (blowing on one)--but Rob tears it up from top to bottom.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Oh wow......Scheps! I played in a band every once in a while with Rob back about 20 yrs. ago. I see/hear he still has outrageous chops. I still see he's also quite "animated". He's a great player and it's good to see he's still doing his thing.

John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.