Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased this leak light and I have a question for anyone that has used it:

The light only comes on when it is draped perfectly. If I move the sax in different directions when the light is inserted - the light goes out. Is this standard behavior is the light got a short or other problem?

Thanks for any insight.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,209 Posts
It's defective.
If you can, send/take it back for a replacement.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
4,690 Posts
If its a rope light, then it gets power via two steel prongs which push into the internal wires, the most common issue with rope lights, isthat the plastic gets stretched around the prongs and ciruit comes and goes.

The other thing that happens is one of the wires feeding a led is making and breaking, when it makes contact the whole light will come on, when it breaks conatct (example being bent) the whole light goe's out

Either way you need to replace the unit,

·
Banned
2,042 Posts
If its a rope light, then it gets power via two steel prongs which push into the internal wires, the most common issue with rope lights, isthat the plastic gets stretched around the prongs and ciruit comes and goes.

Either way you need to replace the unit,
Although in many cases the mains wire end of the rope light has a screw on plastic connector to mate the two prongs with the mains wire. You can (while the thing is unplugged!) easily unscrew the plastic adapter part and then, after ensuring that the prongs are firmly inserted into the wire, retighten it. Sometimes the rope light has just partially worked loose from the adapter causeing the on/ off behaviour. If so this will fix it. About a minute's work and completely non destructive- so it's probably worth a try.

If there's no knurled plastic fitting then, "never mind".

If one of the leads in the rope light itself is broken you're toast; replace it. Surgery to cut into the vinyl and resolder the break is way more trouble than it's worth.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Henry, it does have the screw on adaptor, and I did remove it; I also slightly bent one of the prongs to give a tighter fit; then plugged it back in and the same thing - it goes on and off.

Simso - that is what is happening I think.

Bandmommy - it is going back to WWBW tomorrow.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Bought a 3ft. at Home Depot for about $7 yesterday.
Not to 'dis' WWBW, but cost for the light & shipping (now shipping both ways) is probably not the best place to buy one of these.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I called WWBW for a return number for the leak light. I explained that it appeared to be a return from another customer..... (which it does). They came through for me. They are immediately shipping a new one and suggested i donate or discard the broken one.

Very good service IMHO.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts