Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting to get a little impatient with trying to find the right set up. I am using a Rousseau hard rubber mp with a tip opening of 65 (NC4). I used to think (even with my tenor) that I was good with a 2.5 reed, but I eventually found I had better response with a 2# and like now a more closed mp. I have moved on to the Alto exclusively and carried over my preference for 2# reeds. I used to like the Vandoren ZZ's, but had some good luck with Rico Royal awhile back. Before I tossed the last reed, I was able to pick up the horn and get immediate response in low and high registers. I purchased new reeds...again, Rico Royal 2#, and thought I would be in business. Well, after about a week-and-a-half of playing with the new reed, I still have trouble getting out the notes and sound very breathy through the whole range. I know it takes some time for reeds to get "broken in", but I don't think that's the case here. Heck, it should at least start responding better after moistening it up a little. And why in the heck and am I having to use such a closed mp and thin reed. I thought rule of thumb (I know...I know...every player is different) was if you use a very open mp, a thinner reed is usually used and vice versa. There is no way I would think I would have to use a 1.5#!!!!! I swear my embouchure is good. I am getting ticked off with this situation...it's greatly hindering my production in practice time.:(

1 - 2 of 2 Posts