Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using Jazz Select 3S UF ( switched from Java 3 ) on tenor lately and they play great for me.

Here's the thing, Guitar Center just started to carry reeds and there is one located only a few blocks away from me. Usually I drive a lot further to Sam Ash to get reeds.

Guitar Center doesn't have RJS but they do have Rico Royals in stock.

So, should I take a $25 chance and try a box of Rico Royal 3's, or should I just drive down to Sam Ash?
Are RR 3's in the same ballpark as RJS 3S these days?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,713 Posts
Funny you should mention Rico Royals. I just discovered a box o' "vintage" Royals in the bottom of a drawer and they have been working great! Maybe there is something to be said for letting them age for 10 years or so - that's about how long I've been on Vandoren and Alexander reeds.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I've been using Jazz Select 3S UF ( switched from Java 3 ) on tenor lately and they play great for me.

Here's the thing, Guitar Center just started to carry reeds and there is one located only a few blocks away from me. Usually I drive a lot further to Sam Ash to get reeds.

Guitar Center doesn't have RJS but they do have Rico Royals in stock.

So, should I take a $25 chance and try a box of Rico Royal 3's, or should I just drive down to Sam Ash?
I used to use jazz select 3uf also, I came from java's. I went to the local store and all they had was royals, I have no complaints, but I'm not very reed picky

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
Rico Royals can play just fine or bad -- just like any reed.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I've just switched to the jazz selects from vandoren javas. Went from the java 2.5 to a RJS 2H. To me, they sound a little richer and are a little less squeak prone. I have to order them - they're not carried here, but WWBW would be cheaper than my local store anyway.

One thing I like is that the strength steps up in 3rds, so I can try the next strength up, and it's not too different.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Get the RR's. I have been using them lately and am very happy with them. Strength 3 should be just fine for you.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,713 Posts
Which are you going to believe, an estimate or an opinion???

·
Banned
2,248 Posts
Only difference in the Royals and RJS as far as my experience goes is the "porousness" of the cane--the break in period is different. In other words the Royals feel much more porous and so require a more extensive break in period before they settle and are consistent. THe RJS are very consistent and sturdy from the get go--they don't change as much as the royals for me. If you do the wet- dry stuff with them for a couple days to stablize them it will help prevent them from warping on the flat side...It's probably hogwash but the RJS reeds feel and break-in like they are cane taken from lower on the node whereas the Royal feel like they are higher on the cane node when they picked them...does this make sense? :) A good Royal can play great but again, careful of the break in period to stabilize them.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Only difference in the Royals and RJS as far as my experience goes is the "porousness" of the cane--the break in period is different. In other words the Royals feel much more porous and so require a more extensive break in period before they settle and are consistent. THe RJS are very consistent and sturdy from the get go--they don't change as much as the royals for me. If you do the wet- dry stuff with them for a couple days to stablize them it will help prevent them from warping on the flat side...It's probably hogwash but the RJS reeds feel and break-in like they are cane taken from lower on the node whereas the Royal feel like they are higher on the cane node when they picked them...does this make sense? :) A good Royal can play great but again, careful of the break in period to stabilize them.
I agree, the RR's can take a little while longer to break in. But once they are, they would quite well.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Rico must send their best reeds to Japan.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Why drive to buy reeds at all? Save yourself some gas $ & order them online. If the RJS are playing great for you, why bother taking the risk? Although who knows - maybe the Rico Royal will be even better than your jazz selects.

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
Be aware RR's are filed and you're used to RJS unfiled. I sure can tell the difference between a filed and unfiled reed and prefer unfiled.

Really? The strength chart on the Rico website has a RR3 at a RJS 2H.
RR's strength is more inconsistent than RJS, but they're about equivalent to a RJS 3S.

Look: http://www.saxophon-service.de/shop/z_57.htm
And: http://www.doctorsax.biz/reed_comp.htm

Why drive to buy reeds at all? Save yourself some gas $ & order them online.
Yes, but sometimes you can't wait a few days for fresh reeds to arrive in your mail box.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,680 Posts
Yes, but sometimes you can't wait a few days for fresh reeds to arrive in your mail box.
Well, there's an easy solution to that. Just order new reeds when you get down to one box. And of course you'll want to order at least 3 boxes at a time, once you settle on one particular brand and strength (and the sooner you do that, the better!).

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
I use RSJ 3S UF as well, and these are a bit harder than RR 3's for me. Also the RR's seem to have a thinner tone, but maybe that is just a perception not a reality.

I agree with the online ordering approach, and I also agree with Dr. G's observation - if you can let a box of reeds sit around a year or 2 they will be better for it.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,680 Posts
...I also agree with Dr. G's observation - if you can let a box of reeds sit around a year or 2 they will be better for it.
Kinda like wine, huh? Maybe I should buy a couple dozen boxes and put some away. It should work better than my unsuccessful attempts to do that with wine, and would certainly be less expensive.

·
Registered
516 Posts
On a side note, I just received a box of Rico Royal 4's and it had a nice little sticker on it that said "75th Anniversary, Since 1928." Mine came pre aged!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts