Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts from people who have played these two types of Rico Jazz
Select Reeds. I've mostly played the uncut but I just found some cut ones in my stuff and they seem to be playing better for me.

Also wonder what people think about the response difference between the two and if one tends to run harder or softer than the other. I'm thinking the cut ones seem to run softer and the response seems faster but I don't have enough evidence yet.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
I've played both, and can't find a consistent, significant difference. Maybe I'm not discriminating enough, or maybe any difference in response or sound is less then the difference between individual reeds.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
With my alto RPC mouthpiece, the 2M filed work better for me than 2M unfiled. I tried a couple boxes of both, at first not expecting to find any difference, but eventually found that whenever I found a reed I really liked, it was a filed one.

·
2,046 Posts
bstrom:

I have used the filed reeds for a couple years now and love them. On a whim, I bought a box of the unfiled. For me, the first thing I noticed is that they felt slightly harder, but lasted MUCH longer once they were broken in. The lower register felt a lot fuller and more focused to me on the unfiled reeds. The filed reeds tend to be a little less resistant to me, or maybe that's just my perception, but either way, I've been buying two boxes of each at a time and have had great success with both. I use 3S or 3M on a Ponzol M2 120 tenor piece.

·
Registered
99 Posts
My experience has been that the filed have a bigger, more spread sound. Also the lower partials of the sound seem louder. The unfiled are a bit more focused and have better high-end. There are no absolutes, some setups will play better with one or the other. I always try both when testing a new mpc. I generally prefer the unfiled on tenor, but like the filed on alto. As a side note, most reed-working charts I've seen suggest filing the bark where it meets the cut portion of the reed to open up the low end. I assume that's common knowledge in the reed making world...

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
My experience has been that the filed have a bigger, more spread sound. Also the lower partials of the sound seem louder. The unfiled are a bit more focused and have better high-end. There are no absolutes, some setups will play better with one or the other. I always try both when testing a new mpc. I generally prefer the unfiled on tenor, but like the filed on alto. As a side note, most reed-working charts I've seen suggest filing the bark where it meets the cut portion of the reed to open up the low end. I assume that's common knowledge in the reed making world...
exactly

·
Undistinguished SOTW Member
723 Posts
bstrom:

I have used the filed reeds for a couple years now and love them. On a whim, I bought a box of the unfiled. For me, the first thing I noticed is that they felt slightly harder, but lasted MUCH longer once they were broken in. The lower register felt a lot fuller and more focused to me on the unfiled reeds. The filed reeds tend to be a little less resistant to me, or maybe that's just my perception, but either way, I've been buying two boxes of each at a time and have had great success with both. I use 3S or 3M on a Ponzol M2 120 tenor piece.
These remarks are quite accurate about the general differences between filed and unfiled reeds. There are two very useful sites to check out that will give you good information about this matter. First go to Tim Price's site at Rico where he talks about filed and unfiled reeds :

http://ricoreeds.blogspot.com/2009/03/filed-vs-unfiled.html

Secondly, go this demo by Steve Neff, and you can hear the differences between the filed and unfiled reeds (even though he uses two different brands) :

http://www.neffmusic.com/blog/2011/01/early-babbitt-hr-otto-link-remake-tenor-mouthpiece/

I conducted a poll on the 'filed vs unfiled reed' choice recently here on SOTW (under the Polls section), and most people didn't care which they used, and next most number of votes were for the filed reeds. But admittedly, not many people bothered to respond to the poll, so it may not be accurate.

·
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good information, thanks everybody. I did notice that the low end plays easier with the filed, but I'm sure that it depends on the setup you are using and individual reeds. Was just looking to see if people were in general agreement about the characteristics of each. As usual with this stuff it is not an exact science.

·
5,444 Posts
I like the filed reeds cause then I know exactly where I like to put my lig for best sound, response and table seal.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
3,383 Posts
I've had a few boxes of each, and settled on the unfiled ones. Found they had a bit more core to the sound, and lasted a fair bit longer for me. This is 3M strength on a Link 7*.

Pete

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
today i played my first rico reed!!! :lick:
this was a RJS 2H filed [rolleyes]).. i was plying ZZ reeds before... my first strange feeling..? that seemed strange very very dark (??) and do not vibrate like ZZ, not very blow free, maybe without life :tsk: ..is this a valid opinion? :) of course i will play test some more, and more time with them, but they really are strange to me..:bluewink:
what do you guys think?:bluewink:

·
2,118 Posts
When I was using ZZ's, the RJS seemed to 'mushy' in comparison. But now that I've been using Rigitti Golds with marginal success, I might give the RJS another try...

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,016 Posts
never mind, why do I bother with this forum. Apparently there is no consistent difference between the two. Over and out.
I think you drew this conclusion a bit early, based on only two responses. However, reading through the entire thread so far, I find no definite conclusion or consensus. Which is not at all surprising, given the fickle nature of reeds and those of us who play them.

Good to hear everyone's experiences, though. In the end, you have to find out for yourself of course.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts