Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few students recently popped up with the Riyin brand reed and quite frankly it scares me a little.
It plays bright and sharp initially, but I don't know how long it will last or whether the quality is consistent.
What makes me a little nervous is the black paint(?) on it. I don't see the purpose of the coloring and see it as a detriment. 1. You can't always see a problem, especially when it is on a black mouthpiece. 2. What is going on with that coloring and is it harmful to your body.
I never really thought about what chemicals they may use on reeds until I saw this, but it made me think. Knowing how lax China can be on safety, what is in this stuff. In America, at least once a year, usually around Christmas we hear about Lead in the paint of a toy. Can the coloring be harmful?
Anyone familiar with this brand in general. Most of what I found is either EBay or Amazon detailing price or an obviously bogus review.

View attachment 220642 View attachment 220644

·
Registered
773 Posts
Not familiar with that brand, but it looks like a copy of the old Rico PlastiCover reed, currently D'Adarrio PlastiCover. The Rico and D'Adarrio PlactiCover reeds are safe.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Riyin is a common Chinese brand. Their cane reeds are fine. I used their clarinet reeds a lot when I lived there.
The ones you have are a Plasticover knockoff. I don’t know anything about them. The Chinese description refers to the coating as black waterproofing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts