Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was trying to wait until it gets here to share but I have the patience of a kid on Christmas morning!
A few weeks ago I bought a DVD from "Hornfixer" on re-padding a Buescher TT C-Mel…..In a follow-up conversation with him I learned he just moved from Arkansas to (St. Pete), Florida. Long story short, I sent him my 1923 for a full "Raise From The Dead" overhaul…It needed new snap-ins, a few springs, corks & felts, swedging and the usual tinkering, testing that goes with it, along with a professional polish……
May be a bit longer before its return but I will share the pictures when it does!
Fester

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,715 Posts
Fester.
We all know that it would be less expensive for you to buy another C tenor in good condition.
I applaud you for bringing yours back from the dead....the more difficult & expensive route.
I wince when I think of my past butchery of cars which are now classics...you will not be similarly haunted.
Good man.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was trying to wait until it gets here to share but I have the patience of a kid on Christmas morning!
A few weeks ago I bought a DVD from "Hornfixer" on re-padding a Buescher TT C-Mel…..In a follow-up conversation with him I learned he just moved from Arkansas to (St. Pete), Florida. Long story short, I sent him my 1923 for a full "Raise From The Dead" overhaul…It needed new snap-ins, a few springs, corks & felts, swedging and the usual tinkering, testing that goes with it, along with a professional polish……
May be a bit longer before its return but I will share the pictures when it does!
Fester
…I finally got my CMEL back from restoration & got the MP & reeds etc.

It is a 1923 Buescher. The guy that did the restoration is (Hornfixer who just moved from Arkansas to Florida). Today for the first time I actually tried it….of course I sucked!....that's because I don't know how to play the saxophone … But the point is, I love this thing & feel confident that with time, that Clarence Clemons won't be rolling over in his grave!

I attached a link to pictures of both before the overhaul & after…its transformation is amazing!

http://photobucket.com/RISEN

Musical instrument Wind instrument Brass instrument Reed instrument Automotive exhaust

·
SOTW Pragmatist
2,900 Posts
I'm thinking those Buescher C's are likely the best of the bunch. Don't think you wasted a dime. I doubt you'll get a better intonated/voiced C horn till Yamaha decides to make a "YCS-62" and that ain't gonna happen. Just decide which octave you want to be easily in tune (-: 'cause it ain't gonna get better than a Buescher as far those all of those 20's C horns go. I've learned to push in and relax on the uppers and palms. I'd sure like to see a C without a fairly pronounced spread in the octaves. but hell if you can't deal with that you probably wont get any sax to pitch. Amazing what you can learn in a few years if you point your OCD at it. (-: +1 for Buescher C's

PS, Hornfixer is da man. Few Words, much work, I watch his videos instead of movies O-:

·
Registered
609 Posts
Amazing work by Hornfixer, I can't believe he turned that black thing in your avatar into this! I also congradulate you Fester on choosing to bring back a horn that otherwise may have been scrapped.

Eventually there must come a time when 20's C's are very rare, it is the nature of their situation. I am sure more of them are rotting away in attics than coming back as this one did and my 1919 Conn. I once heard that many of them were melted down for the WW2 effort for shell casings :evil: . Let us hope that doesn't happen again...

At any rate, enjoy the horn! Learning on a vintage C-Mel puts you at an advantage when you try a modern horn (IMO). Post some recordings down the road when you have time I would love to hear a Buesher TT C!

Kind regards,
Danny

And @cpete I can attest that Conns are excellent professional C-Mels as well, and I am sure cmelodysax and Cpt. Beeflat can vouch for Martins. Lots of good vintage C-Mels out there besides Bueschers IMO...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,058 Posts
...and I am sure cmelodysax and Cpt. Beeflat can vouch for Martins. Lots of good vintage C-Mels out there besides Bueschers IMO...
cmelodysax is currently vouching for King C-Melody saxophones, with the trusty Martin C having a well deserved extended siesta...

One bare-brass King C in use, three'ish as nagging projects, plus an elusive King C stencil, and a tail-end-charlie currently in UK Customs. It's called C-King-Saturation :mrgreen:

That is when I'm not playing an Aquilasax C-Soprano, which arrived yesterday !! :lick:

FESTER - well done, enjoy, I really should have kept that bare-brass Buescher C that I sold way back (that too played well - but then it's in the player, not the horn), but I'm sure it's having fun out there, somewhere, without me :(

·
Registered
609 Posts
Really? I had heard a rumour that Kings had the worst intonation of all the vintage C-Mels.... but your voucher immediately removes this notion from my point of view.

Then again I had also heard a rumour that Conns lacked the guts of some of the other C-Mels.... :whistle:

The player is everything.

It seems the large manufacturers of the time (Selmer, Conn, King, Buescher, Martin, perhaps Holton) all made really great pro quality saxophones!

5 project kings eh? Kind of a lot for one person to restore :whistle:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to all!!!
I am annoying my wife & teaching poor tone to my African Gray, who by the way already does a better version of Suicide is Painless (MASH THEME) than I do… and she only heard it from me LOL! (thanks for the tip Metaphorce)...but I do a little almost every weekday.....As you may know from my previous posts, I am an antique auction junkie....Well I recently bought at auction a vintage Roland D-50 linear synthesizer ($50 bucks if you can believe that)...it works great! Even came with a little (80s) amp...So although I don't play keyboard/piano either :) ….I'm messing with it and it actually is helping me with the CMEL.....but it will be a while before I post any links I assure you all!
Fester

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,715 Posts
Then again I had also heard a rumour that Conns lacked the guts of some of the other C-Mels.... :whistle:
Most of us who have owned and played Kings, Bueschers, Conns and Martins declare this to be true.
How many have you tried for comparative purposes?

5 project kings eh? Kind of a lot for one person to restore :whistle:
That's just the Kings!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Most of us who have owned and played Kings, Bueschers, Conns and Martins declare this to be true.
How many have you tried for comparative purposes?
0, I have tried 2 Conns, a MKVI Alto, and Yamaha tenor (not sure of the model). I base my opinion solely on the sound coming out of my Conns, I would not say that they lack "guts" per se, but I do intend to get other brands of C-Melody in time, and perhaps I will find it to be much less work to get that sound on another brand. It is a biased opinion and therefore it is not valid like yours is. I will say that things really opened up when I got my Metalite, especially on the 1919 Conn with its huge resonators, lots of guts there IMO.

That's just the Kings!
Occasionally I do gaze at Alan's website wishing I had more disposable income. At the moment, my 1919 Conn has dried that up, but I am very happy with it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts