Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,034 Posts
Heard him front row live (about 20' away) in 1966 and just plain great.....I think Brubeck would never had gotten the effects of 7/4, 9/4 and 5/4 if he had used another drummer.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,526 Posts
In 1965 I heard the DBQ with the New Orleans Philharmonic Orchestra... After the performance I ventured my 17 year old self backstage and was greeted and met by Paul Desmond and Joe Morello... The very gracious and gentle giants talked with me for 10 or 15 minutes... Joe Morello played with such force ( I thought he must be destroying his kit ), and then with a subtle delicate feel that was what I can only describe as eloquent...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
11,501 Posts
Joe Morello was simply the best, most musical drummer, ever... anyone that would argue with me has to be satisfied with the knowledge that they are absolutely wrong. The Dave Brubeck Quartet was a group of individuals who were the "perfect storm" of jazz. Listen to Dave and Joe on "Shortnin' Bread" and you'll hear probably the best example ever of the drummer playing the head in a jazz piece.

The best drummers today would go to Joe for their master classes. This is a sad, sad day for music. RIP Joe Morello.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,033 Posts
The solo on "Castilian Drums" in the Carnegie Hall concert still blows me away. Has to have been one of the most gifted drummers in jazz.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Joe Morello, RIP

I don't know where else to post this. I just read that drummer Joe Morello died yesterday. You all know who he was. Arguably 1/2 of one of the greatest rhythm sections in small group jazz - Morello on drums and Eugene Wright on bass drove the Dave Brubeck Quartet for years.

I lived in Springfield Mass. Morello lived on Adams Street, which was a short-cut to junior high school for me. Nearly every day, on the way to and back from school I could hear Morello practicing. A truly great player. Rest In Peace, Giuseppi :cry:

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Admin note

Merged three threads. So, if some of the posts don't seem to make sense, that's why.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
15,957 Posts
Another sad loss.........RIP Joe.

·
Registered
671 Posts
R.I.P. Joe. Sadly , I just learned of this today. Another legend gone. I was fortunate enough to see him many years ago at a jazz club named Gullivers in N.J. He was one of the most musical drummers and a true virtuoso. He will be missed .

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,867 Posts
RIP. The drummer of the trio I play in studied with him. I heard he was a real nice guy, and of course a fantastic drummer.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
I was a big fan of the DBQ because of Desmond and Morello. The piano player? I could take him or leave him, but he was a great judge of talent.

·
Registered
610 Posts
About 1962 I was in 7th grade in San Mateo California. My friend played drums and saved up to buy a Ludwig set and some nice cymbals. He took lessons at a store on Laurel St. in San Carlos called Drum World. It was owned by Leo Hart... uh, maybe it was called Hart Music... it was a long time ago. Anyway, the store set up a clinic sponsored by Ludwig drums and had it on a Saturday in the auditorium of a local Jr, High School. There were at least a 300 hundred people and the place was packed. The featured clinician was Joe Morello.

Take Five and Blue Rondo al a Turk had been played to death on Top 40 radio, so pretty much everybody know who he was. He talked about playing the snare drum and then about rudiments. Leo Hart's son was in his early twenties and was playing professionally and teaching. He had been into national championship rudimental drum events. So, young Mickey Hart and Joe break out these huge Ludwig marching snare drums set on stands, and proceed to explain rudiments and the contest solos. At the end, they played a piece called Connecticut Half Time (I think I remember) and burned it down. They had they huge 2B drum sticks and were trying to bounce them, so that at the end of each stroke, they were perpendicular. Really flashy and cool stuff for 7th graders!

Then they moved over to full sets of drums and explained odd meters and played bunch of stuff in odd times. Mickey was dressed in a Shark Skin suit, skinny tie and Beatle Boots. With his razor cut hair, he was the prototype young jazz drummer cat. It was pretty strange for me then to see Mickey Hart with the Greatful Dead a couple years later.

I saw Dave Brubeck quite a few time through the years, but I'd like to remember Joe with Mickey playing big marching snares, laughing and having the time of their lives.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts