Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jim Rothermel, who played clarinet, soprano, and alto saxophones with Bob Schultz (ex-Turk Murphy cornetist and all around good guy) in San Francisco, passed away this week in the Bay Area. Jim was a superb, world-class player of traditional jazz. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
SAD....What a drag.

I heard him in the 70's with Jessie Colin Young and Maria Muldar too. A few years back, I was in the'Sac area and a close friend and I went to hear a trad band he was in and he was as great as it got.

I always respected guys like this for just playing the music as music...no more no less. On top of that he was a stellar player- RIP JIM.

·
Premium Member
15,480 Posts
my 12 year old son had the privilege of playing with jim on open mike nights at sausalito seahorse earlier this year. Here's the last video. Jim is sitting on stool on right...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptau9feiiv4

i never met jim, but that shows what a class act he was, to bring a 12 year old on stage with him, and show support like that.

He was a wonderful player and i'm sorry i didnt get a chance to meet him or hear more of what he did.

Off to youtube to check out more of him.

Sorry for the loss.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice video clip. I'd never heard Jim in anything but a trad band, so he showed some versatility there! I haven't checked youtube for anything with Jim on it, but maybe a search for Bob Schultz and his Frisco Jazz Band may have Jim as the high-reed player. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,019 Posts
Damn. I just saw this. Jim Rothermel was one of the people who got me back into playing music. His playing with Jesse Colin Young, especially on "Ridgetop" had something to do with why I ended up back in the SF Bay Area in the mid-70's. He also played with other ensembles and in other genres in the Bay Area over the years. He was a wonderful clarinet player, as well as excellent sax. His obit in the SF Chronicle is here: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/sfgate/obituary.aspx?n=james-rothermel&pid=151177335

·
13,019 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
I didn't know Jim but i saw him not very long ago jamming with Noel Jewkes as i understood it was very shortly before he went into Chemo. He was amazing. Strong, hip and modern sounding ( I thought of him more as a swing guy) with a huge sound . Scared the hell out of Noel and that's saying a lot. He'll be missed.

·
13,019 Posts
Scared the hell out of Noel and that's saying a lot.
That made me smile. Noel's a strong player himself.

First Jim Rothermel and now Clarence Clemons. Too many good ones gone too soon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts