·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
That's very sad.

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,076 Posts
Gary Moore dies 6 feb 2011

The great blues and rock guitarist Gary Moore (58) died today in a hotel room in Spain:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-12377862

I own a very nice 2 DVD box of Mr. Moore ('Live at Montreux') that contains some great blues performances. Check this version of 'Need your love so bad':
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXljcwt7JMk

I will remember him as one of the real greats of all time blues guitar playing. Died much too young. Thanks for all your nice music Mr. Moore.

·
Undistinguished SOTW Member
723 Posts
Re: Gary Moore dies 6 feb 2011

Shucks, this is sad news. I used to cop his solos and licks all the time when I was in my guitar shredder phase (yeah I been playing guitar longer than saxophone), and he was quite an influence in the rock guitar world for quite some time.

58 is too young to be going, but I guess that's the way it was meant to be. RIP Gary, and thanks for the music an inspiration.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,226 Posts
admin note

Threads merged to decrease redundancy

RIP Gary....

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
This is not only one of my favorite songs (no matter how cheesy it is), but very much an anthem of my youth. I must have heard this tune a thousand times...

And then one of my favorite bands 15 years later. A cover by Nightwish...

·
Registered
535 Posts
I'm shocked to hear this, I can't believe he was only 58. I also started on guitar and he was a big influence on me in terms of turning me on to the blues. One of our local heroes, very sad news

·
Undistinguished SOTW Member
723 Posts
I just put on 'Empty Rooms', which still sounds wonderful after all these years. It seems all the more poignant somehow listening to it today. Great tune, great solo!

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,409 Posts
This is very sad news indeed. Gary Moore could play in any genre if he wished, a legend from the age of 16, a veteran of the Irish Showbands like so many fine Irish musicians.

·
Registered
803 Posts
This is really strange to hear this today...

I've alway been a big Gary Moore fan - I have lots of him on my Ipod.

Yesterday I was updating my wife's Ipod, and I decided to put some Gary Moore on hers - I know she like blues. I told her to check it out, and she liked him - but wondered why she had never heard of him before, and we talked about him for a couple minutes. Funny how that in 12 years of marriage his name never came up. Then I turn her onto Gary Moore, we talk about him, and in less than 24 hours later he's dead....weird. And indeed sad, he was great.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
This is really strange to hear this today...

I've alway been a big Gary Moore fan - I have lots of him on my Ipod.

Yesterday I was updating my wife's Ipod, and I decided to put some Gary Moore on hers - I know she like blues. I told her to check it out, and she liked him - but wondered why she had never heard of him before, and we talked about him for a couple minutes. Funny how that in 12 years of marriage his name never came up. Then I turn her onto Gary Moore, we talk about him, and in less than 24 hours later he's dead....weird. And indeed sad, he was great.
Whoa...that is insanely trippy.

·
Banned
585 Posts
Rory Gallagher, now Gary Moore. Two great Irishmen...two great players. Although not an original member, Thin Lizzy were one of the great live bands. Dublin still hold Phil, as a hero. He was, Rory was, Gary was....R.I.P...boys....a

·
Banned
585 Posts
Thanks Rooty....so sad man. Bit of Hendrix, is a must. I always wanted to cover " machine gun " on tenor. Full twenty mins...all effects. I will do if i ever get this mpc. sorted out. Hope you are good Rooty...a

1 - 16 of 16 Posts