Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Aloha Don. Rest in the eternal sunset of the islands and be at peace with our Lord and Savior.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
Joined
·
5,528 Posts
Don always had a big heart and something kind to say. A pure entertainer and gentleman like Don Ho is hard to find nowadays.
 

·
SOTW Administrator
Joined
·
26,207 Posts
A great entertainer.
He also kept many musicians employed.

His rendition of Peter Gabriel's 'Shock the Monkey' was Iconic.:D
Along with 'I'll Remember You', 'With all my love', and 'Hawaiian Wedding Song'.
He kept going 'til the end--his last show was Thursday.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
800 Posts
He certainly came across as a man with a grand heart, it is ironic that that is what gave out.

Who else could sing mushy songs with such light heartedness and dignity?
 

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
Joined
·
27,650 Posts
I just eliminated a longer post because I think it will be taken wrong. So let me begin this one by saying cheers to Don for keeping musicians working, keeping live entertainment alive, and for furthering Hawaiian music and mystique before the general audience for so many years. The Hawaiian music and experience is probably better off because of his shows and success over the course of so many years; quite an accomplishment.

My experience with him goes back to when he played/sang at his parent's place "Honeys" in Kaneohe- before he was a hit- and then later at Duke Kahanamoku's, etc. Considering the sensitivity of commenting with anything negative on someone's passing, I'll just say that my experience with his show and his delivery is not the same as those posted above - I found the music banal and his delivery insincere- and I wonder how many of you actually saw Don Ho.

That being said, his being able to keep up with all of this for so many years is quite an accomplishment. He is a legend and if he brought a good feeling to his listeners, that's wonderful. May he rest in peace.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
800 Posts
gary said:
I just eliminated a longer post because I think it will be taken wrong. So let me begin this one by saying cheers to Don for keeping musicians working, keeping live entertainment alive, and for furthering Hawaiian music and mystique before the general audience for so many years. The Hawaiian music and experience is probably better off because of his shows and success over the course of so many years; quite an accomplishment.

My experience with him goes back to when he played/sang at his parent's place "Honeys" in Kaneohe- before he was a hit- and then later at Duke Kahanamoku's, etc. Considering the sensitivity of commenting with anything negative on someone's passing, I'll just say that my experience with his show and his delivery is not the same as those posted above - I found the music banal and his delivery insincere- and I wonder how many of you actually saw Don Ho.

That being said, his being able to keep up with all of this for so many years is quite an accomplishment. He is a legend and if he brought a good feeling to his listeners, that's wonderful. May he rest in peace.
I think his TV show only lasted a year for perhaps some of the reasons you stated, but he was a lovable character, and the fog of memory softens many insincerity's in our thoughts.

Personally I think when some one passes on its customary not to spit on their grave, even if it's to reflect upon personal experience. I think there is some sort of unwritten politeness rule on that. Maybe I am just old fashioned.
 

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
Joined
·
27,650 Posts
Bar-Ron said:
Personally I think when some one passes on its customary not to spit on their grave, even if it's to reflect upon personal experience. I think there is some sort of unwritten politeness rule on that. Maybe I am just old fashioned.
"Spitting on his grave"? :scratch: Here's another cute phrase: "Killing a gnat with a sledge-hammer";
which is what your reply is, and which raises a question about hidden agendas.

My post is tactful, as well as honest. I weighed my words carefully, specifically not to seem disingenuous. I wanted to make sure that what I said was respectful on his passing. There are plenty of compliments and credit for his accomplishments given. To say that I am spitting on his grave is a gross exaggeration.

Here, let's make a list:

one reference each to banality and insincerity, vs.

- cheers to Don for keeping musicians working
- (for) keeping live entertainment alive
- for furthering Hawaiian music and mystique before the general audience for so many years
- Hawaiian music and experience is probably better off...quite an accomplishment
- he brought a good feeling to his listeners, that's wonderful
- his being able to keep up with all of this for so many years is quite an accomplishment
- May he rest in peace


Spitting on his grave? Give me a break! :cool:
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, & Forum Contributor 201
Joined
·
766 Posts
martysax said:
Was it the "nappy headed" comment that killed him?

Do you think he took it personally?
Yeah, I hope the Reverands aren't offended that the poor man died and his name just happened to be "Ho"

I'll bet Don never got approval from al sharpton and jesse jackson to use the name Ho, seeing how they think they own language and everyone else's use of it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
800 Posts
gary said:
"Spitting on his grave"? :scratch: Here's another cute phrase: "Killing a gnat with a sledge-hammer";
which is what your reply is, and which raises a question about hidden agendas.

My post is tactful, as well as honest. I weighed my words carefully, specifically not to seem disingenuous. I wanted to make sure that what I said was respectful on his passing. There are plenty of compliments and credit for his accomplishments given. To say that I am spitting on his grave is a gross exaggeration.

Here, let's make a list:

references to banality and insincerity, vs.

- cheers to Don for keeping musicians working
- (for) keeping live entertainment alive
- for furthering Hawaiian music and mystique before the general audience for so many years
- Hawaiian music and experience is probably better off...quite an accomplishment
- he brought a good feeling to his listeners, that's wonderful
- his being able to keep up with all of this for so many years is quite an accomplishment
- May he rest in peace


Spitting on his grave? Give me a break! :cool:
You are right, I was a bit more sledgy like than needed.:shock:

OK ..... "you blew a cold breath of a negativity within a rather warm and eloquent thread. Although it was a refreshing breeze of thruth and personal reflection its affect was more dampening than the bright shining examples of kindness that you had shed."

Is that better?;)
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
Joined
·
11,501 Posts
Aloha nui loa, Don. Rest gently.

I lived on Oahu for seven years and entertained many visitors during the time. I was a huge fan of Hui O'Hana, Keola Beamer, and Gabby... the visitors always wanted to see Don. I enjoyed his show every time. He gave the customers what they came for. That in itself had to be hard to do night after night for so many years. His delivery, I thought, was not unlike Dean Martin's, FWIW. Again, Aloha.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
I'm also big fan of Hawaiian music--the Pahinui family made some great music in their day and I have some Beamer Bros. albums and some other slack key guitar artists. Beautiful music.
My mother was a fan of Don Ho because she was also an Alfred Apaka fan (wasn't he billed as the "Hawaiian Johnny Hartman"?!).She saw both in concert and was in heaven. I couldn't get into Don Ho's music, much preferring the folks I mentioned above, but, yes, it definitely takes "chops" of a different sort to do what he did night after night. Peaceful rest to him and all good thoughts to his family.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top