Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
News still happening but it seems as he succumbed to a long battle with cancer. Sad Day!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
Re: RIP Chris Vadela

This is sad news. I've attended many of his sessions back in the late 1980's and early 1990's in my High School and College days. Really approachable and humble guy. I'm talking about Chris Vadala - Sorry if it's a different person.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,964 Posts

Yeah, one of the first saxophonists I tried to play along with, on Chuck Mangione's Feel So Good. It was also when I realized saxophonists could play higher than the keyed range. RIP Chris.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts

I interviewed Chris Vadela for my dissertation. He offered a lot of helpful points, and one of these ended up being a cornerstone of the course of study I set out to create in the paper. I never knew him personally, but from all the posts I have seen on social media, he apparently has touched the lives of many in a profound way like he did for me in such a short conversation. Rest In Peace.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,786 Posts

Sad news. My sister just asked me if I knew who he was. I guess she met someone who is friends with him or related in some way. He was one of the first sax players I ever listened to as one of the few albums my Dad had was Chuck Mangione Live at the Hollywood Bowl. I must have listened to that album 1,000 times when I was a kid! RIP Mr. Vadala! Thanks for the incredible inspiration and impact on me!

·
Registered
517 Posts

He did many memorable creative things with Chuck Mangione, both live and on record that I will re-listen to and watch after hearing this news. Thanks Chris Vadela for your many musical contributions.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,408 Posts

Agree with all above -sorry to hear this, he was a very influential player in an understated way. 'Live at The Hollywood Bowl' defined an era I think-a great album indeed.

·
Registered
120 Posts

I absolutely loved his playing. And he was a great one to give back to the music world. I saw him a few years back at a high school All-State Jazz Band clinic directing the bands. What a great guy!

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,728 Posts

I interviewed Chris Vadela for my dissertation. He offered a lot of helpful points, and one of these ended up being a cornerstone of the course of study I set out to create in the paper. I never knew him personally, but from all the posts I have seen on social media, he apparently has touched the lives of many in a profound way like he did for me in such a short conversation. Rest In Peace.
I was struck by that too - lots of people calling out his humanity on social media. Such a loss.

·
Registered
136 Posts

Sad news. My sister just asked me if I knew who he was. I guess she met someone who is friends with him or related in some way. He was one of the first sax players I ever listened to as one of the few albums my Dad had was Chuck Mangione Live at the Hollywood Bowl. I must have listened to that album 1,000 times when I was a kid! RIP Mr. Vadala! Thanks for the incredible inspiration and impact on me!
Same. The Hollywood Bowl album was wonderful and to listen to Chris play on that live album was such an inspiration and and impetus for me in my early days learning the saxophone. His playing was full of warmth, emotion and lyricism. Great technician too......had great altissimo facility on soprano. He also was a much loved teacher and clinician, such a valuable resource and mentor for students and a wonderful person. I'm very sad today.

·
SOTW Moderator/Administrator
1,287 Posts
I was privileged to have taken a few lessons with him after I was away from the sax for several years. Helped be get started up again. I'd pay for an hour lesson, but he'd work with me close to two hours. Super guy, fantastic musician.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Loved his playing, also immensely enjoyed reading his column back in the day in Saxophone Journal. His tips and tricks for woodwind doubling were a great resource for me, particularly for flute. Hopefully they've been archived somewhere for future generations of doublers.

·
Registered
923 Posts
*double post

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm very sorry to hear of Chris Vadala's passing. He was a great musician and a wonderful educator. He was also one of the nicest guys I've ever had the opportunity to work with. I sincerely regret that I have not been in communication with him for a few years. I will miss him.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,470 Posts
Met him in 1980 as part of the Feel So Good tour and have been a fan ever since. We talked about filling Neiwood's shoes and what his background education was.

My family was a close acquaintance of the Mangione family and had met Chuck and Gap in the early 70's. Both Mangione with Jerry Niewood and then with Vadala was/is the largest part of my influence in how I approach music.

After that tour I realized saxophone isn't just for jazz performances, it could include some pop as well.

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
314 Posts
In the mid to late 80s, one evening while studying for a final exam, a friend & his girlfriend came to my college apartment to invite me to a Chuck Mangione concert. Hesitantly, I decided to go instead of keep studying. One of the best concerts I have ever experienced. Mr Vadala was at the saxophone.

Thanks for memories Mr Vadala and may you RIP.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts