Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rest In Power , Bob Feldman : Bob Feldman (1938-2018).
I was just informed Bob passed yesterday, in NyC in his apartment on 43 St.

Bob was one of my best friends and someone I'd speak a lot. I'd see him in NY & we'd sit on 43 St - sometimes walking up to Roberto's talking about everything from his friendship with Mingus or his gigs with beat poet Jack Micheline and so much more.

` When Bob was 19 , he worked at the at "The New Yorker", he told me he'd spend the nights there talking with a writer who showed him solstice and emotional support via the sadness of his mother's death.That writer was J.D. Salinger. Francis Ford Coppola found Bob playing saxophone in the street in San Francisco and cast him as a sax player in "The Conversation". Sam Shepard hired him to compose and perform the score in his play "Angel City". Bob continued working with Shepard on "Curse of the Starving Class," in addition to the many gigs he played and always returned to NYC. Bob Feldman was that guy! A New Yorker born and raised.He knew and played with Charles Mingus, Sonny Simmons, Michael Marcus, Allen Ginsberg, Jack Micheline, New York City Players, the renowned, innovative theater company under the Artistic Direction of Richard Maxwell with whom Bob has spent so many years performing with, plus many countless other creative masters.There was always a musical story that came from Bob about the encounters in the music or spoken word. He was a student of life/ music and the reality that surrounded it. One of the true free spirits and beautiful souls I ever met.
`
NyC will feel empty without Bob in Hell's Kitchen, Manhattan, NY,So many times our conversations would lean towards Ellington music & guys from that band. One of my favorite players always was Lawrence Brown; the trombonist. Bob dug Lawrence to- had story's about him. One of the guys Bob studied with as a young guy was Andrew Brown- Who was a member of the Cab Calloway orchestra. Another guy used to hang out on 43 St in front of Little Pie Cafe < Mike LeDonne thanks! > was Lawrence Lucie- the great guitarist. We would call him Mr Lucie, he was always dressed in coat & tie. Mr Lucie played with everyone but was the guitarist with Jelly Roll Morton, he lived to be 101Lawrence did.Bob had a gig with Mr Lucie- and took me along to listen. Mr Lucie was there, in a coat and tie. Rehearsed for 3 hours and never broke a sweat- or took the coat off.Mr Lucie played with everyone from Louis Armstrong to Miles Davis, but he spoke of his role with Jelly Roll Morton ....Hard to believe he passed- what a drag.

Bright sun upon you brother Bob Feldman- you will be sorely missed by all of us - May you be peaceful and at ease.

·
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bob Feldman memorial: a small gathering at John Baltimore’s- celebrating a great friend- musician: left to right- Jay Rosen- David Schnitter-John Baltimore-Michael Marcus- Harry Mann- Tim Price - Sonny Simmons:

Farwell to a friend Bob Feldman:

Attachments

·
Registered
Tenors: TM Custom, MkVI 65K and 124K
217 Posts
A very nice tribute to your friend. Sorry for your loss.

·
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1 - 4 of 4 Posts