Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sad news NYC free Jazz violinist Billy Bang passed away Monday at age 64 after a long battle with cancer. Billy was active to the end starting in the early 70's in New York and being a native was around the best of this scene. his early influence was Stuff Smith, classical, Stepane Grapelli and any fiddler worth listening to add to his technical bluesy raw sounds. as a leader of many sessions he was good enough to be with anyone on stage and as a sideman he was usually stealing the spotlight in either Sun Ra and his band or the string trio of New York.
right now on WKCR.ORG you can listen to a memorial broadcast of all his recorded output which is quite impressive, give a listen.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Sad news indeed. Billy Bang and Frank Lowe always so amazing together, each with such unique voices always playing from the heart. When I told a friend that Billy Bang had passed, his reply was "I would not chose to play violin myself but he was definitely playing past the instrument and out into space the way music should be played". That's a beautiful way of putting it and I couldnt agree more.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Swampcabbage and stevie for the kind words on such a sad day for a great artist, in his honor anyone can tune in to WKCR.ORG for a tribute broadcast in his honor. thanks all......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts