Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14262237

Not exactly unexpected, but still incredibly sad. She has been slated on this board before but she really was one of the very best and most talented singer songwriters the UK has produced.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Re: Amy Winehouse

Know this was coming she was booed in Serbia when she couldn't even perform stumbling and mumbling ugh so sad

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,853 Posts

Unbelievable raw talent. I was expecting a big come back any time. It isn't easy to make this salty liquid drip out of my eyes. What a waste.

·
Registered
659 Posts

I know first hand the dangers of addiction. Too bad she couldn't make recovery work for her.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,889 Posts

“Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankind; And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.”..............and that's regardless of whom and why's

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,406 Posts

Any recommendations for other artists who made music in that style? My wife and I really enjoyed her music.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,715 Posts

What is it about musicians dying at age 27? Hendrix, Morrison, Joplin, Cobain, Winehouse....
You beat me to it...Beiderbeck & Parker too.
Absolutely tragic but somehow endemic to music...does this talent come at a price?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,867 Posts

“Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankind; And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.”..............and that's regardless of whom and why's
Although the Norway disaster is absolutely horrible, a victim of this disease called addiction is not excluded from my compassion.
My thoughts exactly.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts

Nobody really wants to be a drug addict, junkie in the end. Ditto alcoholism.

I just think that for certain people that it's just not easy to quit, in many cases impossible. That's part of the addiction.

Rip to a very troubled talented soul.

·
Registered
397 Posts

I play 'rehab' nearly every time I pull out my sax, and it tends to be my goto song if someone asks to hear me play. In fact I was just about to pull out my horn so I'll be playing it in a few minutes as well.

·
Registered
706 Posts

i don't think any other modern soul singer had so much soul and style. That video (posted a few comments up) from the Jooles Holland show shows what she could have been. It was just effortless for her, that doesn't happen very often.
rip

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,213 Posts

She had fascinating vocal style.
Appealing inflection in curious bends and shapes, with mastery in the base.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts