Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RIP .....Mary Lyerly Alexander, John Coltrane’s beloved “Cousin Mary,” A Philadelphia icon, inspiring tireless supporter of jazz. I always loved this particular picture of her, as it hangs in the Clef Club in Phila, Pa. There's a energy in this picture, if you will. Also shows Tranes deep sense of family values and spirit.

I met Cousin Mary a few decades ago on a Trudy Pitts gig on a Sunday, a honor and pleasure. She was so full of life and joy. She was kind enough to answer a lot of questions I had about Trane, and the period he lived in Philadelphia.

For the musicians here- Next time you play " Cousin Mary"....think of this picture and the amazing person she was, to jazz and John Coltrane, she was spiritually and artistically connected to him,.

RIP She was the best.

( See the below newspaper info on her too. She was special.)

‘Cousin Mary’ Lyerly Alexander, 92, John Coltrane’s inspiration and ‘the mother of jazz in Philadelphia’

https://www.inquirer.com/obituaries...ya0KebXRLt97ttnnnDi_EiW_-S9d81GZRWYIhOloGeK7Q

Attachments

·
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Beautiful personal tribute Tim, thank you. That's a great picture of her and I don't remember ever seeing the picture of Trane she's holding.

She was only 10 months younger than John.
Thank you.....The newspaper article is great - finally the world can see a person that was a important lady.

·
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice to learn about the woman behind the song, thanks Tim.
Your welcome. . . She was a person I was grateful to know and also hear about the era and JC from a first hand source. She will be missed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts