Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.amazon.com/Rinastore-Sa...nastore+Saxophone+Strap&qid=1571075473&sr=8-2

Stumbled across this & thought it looked pretty spot on to the Just Joe's strap - even the same slider. Not a fan of the hook but could swap it out for something else easily enough.

That being said, I feel shady buying it if someone else has just ripped off his design & would rather put my money to the original even if it's quite a bit more expensive (already have a Just Joes & dig it)

Thoughts?

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,001 Posts
Definitely looks similar to the Cebulla and Just Joe's straps. However, you can't actually tell how well it would feel or how long it would last from looking at a picture. I'd be suspicious of it being a cheap imitation. Just no way to tell. Sometimes the wish to save a buck or two ends up costing you more in the long run. My advice, just get a Just Joe's strap and be done with it!

p.s. I see you already have a Just Joe's strap. I guess you could buy one of these and see how it compares. That way you'll know if it's a cheap imitation or, if it's exactly like Just Joe's, a rip-off of his design, unless he sold them the rights to it, or whatever. I'm not a lawyer, though.

·
Forum Contributor 2010-2016, Musician and Store Ow
476 Posts
I have not sold any rights to it (Hi JL!). I try to purchase most every knock-off I've run across, I'm curious that way. Suffice it t say that I remain proud of what I have to offer and driven to keep the quality level as high as possible.

I hope to announce the addition of a wide-bar adjustment slider option by the end of the year.

Joe

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,562 Posts
Everyone has a version of this neck strap available, and yeah, looks more like the cebulla than just joe's. Believe cebulla was around first, no? Put a V slider on it and it's the Vandoren version...not exactly rocket science to make a padded strap that offloads the vertebrae. Surprised it took so long for common sense and ergonomics to make it to a field where we're hanging 6 to 12 pounds of metal from our necks. It's a basic design with no unique mechanisms, what's to copy?

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,871 Posts
Everyone has a version of this neck strap available, and yeah, looks more like the cebulla than just joe's. Believe cebulla was around first, no? Put a V slider on it and it's the Vandoren version...not exactly rocket science to make a padded strap that offloads the vertebrae. Surprised it took so long for common sense and ergonomics to make it to a field where we're hanging 6 to 12 pounds of metal from our necks. It's a basic design with no unique mechanisms, what's to copy?
AFAIK Cebulla was first with the valley to protect your vertebrae (but I think camera straps had that prior). There was also then the Bird Strap that also had the wide cord divider. The Cebulla then introduced a cord divider. I like to think it was my feedback to Johann that instigated this, as this is also a very useful feature for comfort and possibly health.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,001 Posts
I like to think it was my feedback to Johann that instigated this, as this is also a very useful feature for comfort and possibly health.
Well done Pete!! A great concept all around, no matter who uses the idea.

I have a Cebulla that I picked up some years ago. It worked well for a while, but over time it seemed like the padding compressed somewhat, making it less effective. When I got a Just Joe's strap at first it appeared to be almost identical to the Cebulla but I noticed the padding on Just Joe's felt much better and after several years it hasn't compressed at all; still as good as the day I bought it.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,562 Posts
AFAIK Cebulla was first with the valley to protect your vertebrae (but I think camera straps had that prior). There was also then the Bird Strap that also had the wide cord divider. The Cebulla then introduced a cord divider. I like to think it was my feedback to Johann that instigated this, as this is also a very useful feature for comfort and possibly health.
The divider is something that would’ve made my original style cebulla much better. Until the padding started compressing and the leather got kind of gross, the pinching off of the neck was the only bad thing about it. I made my own separator and it helped a lot.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I've used my Just Joe's strap for 1,000 hours with alto and tenor, going strong and comfortable.

I so hope that the spreader will attach to existing straps without undoing the crimps, or having to send it in for mod. It seems possible with a slotted channel... I would order one immediately.

Thanks, Joe.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi there. I got this before I even knew what a Just Joe's was... I think it's pretty much the same thing but no gel inside:
PROTEC Leather Less Stress

https://www.amazon.com/Rinastore-Sa...nastore+Saxophone+Strap&qid=1571075473&sr=8-2

Stumbled across this & thought it looked pretty spot on to the Just Joe's strap - even the same slider. Not a fan of the hook but could swap it out for something else easily enough.

That being said, I feel shady buying it if someone else has just ripped off his design & would rather put my money to the original even if it's quite a bit more expensive (already have a Just Joes & dig it)

Thoughts?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts