Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever heard of these? I bought a box of 10 - #2 1/2 alto reeds for about $20 from Musician's Friend. Not bad. Seem to be a little soft but all in all I'm kinda pleased with them. I put one on a S80 C* and on a Yamaha 4C. Played the horn up and down with no problems at all. Of course there's no telling how long the reed will last but so far so good.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,781 Posts
Yes, good reeds. 2 1/2 seems quite soft for either of your mouthpieces, however.
I don't know about the alto reeds, but the tenor ones come in three different sizes for 2.5: light, med, and strong. I tried all three and there's a significant difference in strength. 2.5 strong is pretty close to a 3 in most other brands. The 2.5 light is pretty soft in comparison. So it depends on which '2.5' you try.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I don't know about the alto reeds, but the tenor ones come in three different sizes for 2.5: light, med, and strong. I tried all three and there's a significant difference in strength. 2.5 strong is pretty close to a 3 in most other brands. The 2.5 light is pretty soft in comparison. So it depends on which '2.5' you try.
JL i'm trying to find a strength comparison chart for rigotti reeds (vandoren blue box as reference). I can't really found anything. Anyone nows?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,877 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,781 Posts
2,5 vandoren is same as 2,5 strong rigotti, no 3m..
is this right?
I don't know about the vandoren blue box, but the chart appears very accurate in terms of the reeds I do know. I found rigotti 2.5 strong to be very close to a V16 2.5, and a bit harder than a RJS 2.5H, just as the chart suggests.

In some cases it may be necessary to give the closest match, but still not an exact one. Ultimately, you just have to try them and find out. I've been pretty happy with the 2.5 stong tenor reeds on my 120 RPC. Still have to play them on a few more gigs to be sure.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ever heard of these? I bought a box of 10 - #2 1/2 alto reeds for about $20 from Musician's Friend. Not bad. Seem to be a little soft but all in all I'm kinda pleased with them. I put one on a S80 C* and on a Yamaha 4C. Played the horn up and down with no problems at all. Of course there's no telling how long the reed will last but so far so good.
Yes! And it took me years to find out that they work better for me than any reed out there! I use the med. #3, and it's ready to play out of the box. And they last longer than most other reeds. I won't use anything else!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts