Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I am so freaking tired with Vandoren, sorry for any Vandoren users but I think they suck. Every reed is diffrent and you cant make them play exactly the same because cane grows not exactly the same all the time but the Vandoren reeds I got in my boxes sucks. They are cut uneven have super much miss colorisation and the hearts are uneven. I switched to Lavoz played them for a year or so now but nah they are good but I wanna test something new. So the question is with strength should I go with if I play a Berg 105/2 and I lavoz MS? All the reed charts seem to say different things.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,812 Posts
There are very many threads about Rigotti and their strength. You will find there a lot more information already on the forum , more than you can possibly get with a new thread. Besides any new thread on an older matters only dilutes information and every time it will hide older threads under a new layer without bringing necessarily any new information.

This is not a rebuff but just a suggestion for the future since the thread is now here already. I’ve taken some time to look for Rigotti Strength related threads.

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showt...ti-Gold-to-Robertos-Reeds-Strength-Comparison
https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showt...old-Strength-Compared-to-Vandoren-Traditional
https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?203052-Rigotti-Gold-Strength
https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?180527-Question-for-Rigotti-Gold-Users-Strength
https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?162138-Java-2-5-Rigotti-Gold-(Reed-Strength)
https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?212627-Rigotti-Gold-Strength-Comparison-Article

and many more

Please use the archives. Search here in the top middle page where it says Google Custom Search

https://www.saxontheweb.net

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,904 Posts
I’d look around a 2.5 med Rigotti.
Rigotti run a little soft for me, kind of like a Vandoren Green once broken in but brighter.
I still quite like Vandoren greens on my STM pieces.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,006 Posts
I'd start around 2.5 strong or 3 light and go from there. I like both those sizes on my Black Widow 9 (.120) and PPT .125. I bet one of those two sizes will suit you. I used to play V16 2.5 and I think the Rigotti 3 light are about equivalent, if that helps.

And yes, I find the Rigottis more consistent and responsive than any of the Vandorens I've played (V16, Java red & green). One other advantage; they come 10 to a box and are less expensive (per reed) than Vandorens.

You could also peruse some of those threads milandro cited and find more than enough info. But, bottom line you have to try them for yourself. Be sure to buy a box of any given size; trying out only one reed won't give you an accurate assessment. But you probably know that!

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,564 Posts
Is Google Search paying kickbacks for referrals?
Seriously though. I find the strength between the Vandoren java cuts and the rigotti's to be fairly evenly matched: so if you're playing a 2.5 Vando red, green or ZZ, JL is on the money. I'd probably buy both the 2.5 medium and the 3 light and give them each a good work out. The V16 are a little stiffer a blow. Not sure what a LaVoz MS equates to, but you kind of threw that in there at the end after talking about vandoren, whose reeds I also do not like. I've tried them all, and still buy a box on occasion if I'm bored and have a few extra bucks. Almost every time the first reed is completely smoking and perfectly how I want it for about an hour...the rest are terribly stuffy and tat first one rarely sings again.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,901 Posts
Rigotti tends to run a bit softer than most other reed companies, but they are incredibly consistent. The local shop around here can't keep 3 mediums in stock since that's what every pro in the city seems to gravitate towards. I'd say that the strength is extremely similar to a Lavoz MS. 3 Medium is my favorite strength on alto too. I've bounced around with Rigotti strengths, but find everything else to be too hard or too soft. Just one city's opinion.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Rigottis are bright and consistent, though slightly softer than some brands. I find Francois Louis reeds equally consistent if not moreso, and of similar brightness and response, though a tad softer still. Lupifaros seem similar in strength to FL's, but darker. I like them all, but mostly use Rigottis.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rigotti tends to run a bit softer than most other reed companies, but they are incredibly consistent. The local shop around here can't keep 3 mediums in stock since that's what every pro in the city seems to gravitate towards. I'd say that the strength is extremely similar to a Lavoz MS. 3 Medium is my favorite strength on alto too. I've bounced around with Rigotti strengths, but find everything else to be too hard or too soft. Just one city's opinion.
Wait just so I understood you righ, the 3M is like the MS in strength?

·
4,901 Posts
Wait just so I understood you righ, the 3M is like the MS in strength?
That's my personal opinion. However, it's been about 20 years since I've used Lavoz MS reeds on a tenor piece, so I'm going on a rather distant memory. My pieces all have 115 to 125 tip openings. The Rigotti 3M most certainly won't be overly hard on a 105 tip. You may actually end up liking something a bit harder. The 3M is the immediate go to. On paper, it is technically a little thicker than a Lavoz MS. however, the inconsistencies with both Lavoz and Vandoren can make those reeds feel 3x thicker than they actually are. You can certainly try a Rigotti 2.5, but I have this feeling that you'll find them to be too soft for your setup.

·
3,564 Posts
That's my personal opinion. However, it's been about 20 years since I've used Lavoz MS reeds on a tenor piece, so I'm going on a rather distant memory. My pieces all have 115 to 125 tip openings. The Rigotti 3M most certainly won't be overly hard on a 105 tip. You may actually end up liking something a bit harder. The 3M is the immediate go to. On paper, it is technically a little thicker than a Lavoz MS. however, the inconsistencies with both Lavoz and Vandoren can make those reeds feel 3x thicker than they actually are. You can certainly try a Rigotti 2.5, but I have this feeling that you'll find them to be too soft for your setup.
Trust me, Bro...I tried those reeds out like 20 years ago 🤣🤣🤣

·
4,901 Posts
Trust me, Bro...I tried those reeds out like 20 years ago 🤣🤣🤣
Still use them on soprano. Used them for quite a long time on tenor too, until Rico's QC became very hit and miss. Really didn't think about how long it's been until today. Time flys when you're having fun. 😂

·
3,564 Posts
Still use them on soprano. Used them for quite a long time on tenor too, until Rico's QC became very hit and miss. Really didn't think about how long it's been until today. Time flys when you're having fun. 😂
I was just messing with you ;)
Funny how when they started boasting of diamond cut precision I stopped playing them because they were increasingly inconsistent within the same box. Rigotti works best for me on tenor and comes closest to the feel of what I got from the best of the LaVoz.
FWIW I'd agree with Dave R's strength comparison above, as I find the 3.5L or M to be about the same as the LaVoz MH I used to play.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,006 Posts
You can certainly try a Rigotti 2.5, but I have this feeling that you'll find them to be too soft for your setup.
There are 3 different strengths in the 2.5 size (light, medium, strong). My suggestion was to try Rigotti 2.5 strong and 3 light.

In my experience (Tenor reeds; mpc tips ranging from .105 to .125) the 2.5 light & medium are noticeably softer than the 2.5 strong. The 3 light is only a bit harder than 2.5 strong, and 3 mediums are significantly harder than 3 lights. But again, every player has to make their own determination.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,812 Posts
In the NL there are ONLY whole and half sizes for RIGOTTI

·
3,564 Posts
There are 3 different strengths in the 2.5 size (light, medium, strong). My suggestion was to try Rigotti 2.5 strong and 3 light.

In my experience (Tenor reeds; mpc tips ranging from .105 to .125) the 2.5 light & medium are noticeably softer than the 2.5 strong. The 3 light is only a bit harder than 2.5 strong, and 3 mediums are significantly harder than 3 lights. But again, every player has to make their own determination.
Yes, You really do have to try for yourself. The amount of mouthpiece one takes in and the amount of lip contacting the reed make a lot of difference, and they are 100% unique to each player. All of these comparisons are ballpark figures...ballparks are huge places.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
In the NL there are ONLY whole and half sizes for RIGOTTI
If you want to try the sub-strengths, you could order them from the UK shops that have them. I know that Reeds Direct do the sub strengths. Perhaps sax.co.uk and Howarths too.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
IMO,
La Voz MS is closer to Rigotti 2.5 medium or strong.
La Voz M = Rigotti approx 3 medium.
Having said that, for the first time in a quite few years, I recently bought some La Voz M and MS for tenor. The strengths bear no relationship to what I expected. Anyone else think LV's strengths have got harder?

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Having said that, for the first time in a quite few years, I recently bought some La Voz M and MS for tenor. The strengths bear no relationship to what I expected. Anyone else think LV's strengths have got harder?
That seems to be the general consensus of all Daddario reeds.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts