Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been playing Rigotti alto reeds for quite a while now. Never had a problem with correct reeds. I wanted to try them on tenor so I ordered a box of 2.5 strong. 4 of them were 2.5 lite (o in Gold shaded in) has that ever happened to you Rigotti users? On a good note I realized that I am probably better with 2.5 medium than strong!

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
Never happened to me.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I heard back from Rigotti. They are going to send me replacements for the 4 wrong reeds. Maybe I'll get a new box! With buying alto, soprano and tenor reeds, a free box would be nice! I reached out to WWBW but no response yet. I realize it's out of their control but just thought I would bring it up with them. You never know.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,023 Posts
I've bought a lot of boxes of Rigotti reeds, but never had that happen. However, I haven't always checked whether or not the 'o' or 'd' in Gold is shaded in or not. So maybe I just didn't notice. I suspect it's a rare anomaly, though, and not likely to happen to you again.

p.s. I just scanned through a couple of boxes of both 2.5 strong and 3 light. All were marked properly; the correct # and 'd' shaded in for the strongs and 'o' shaded in for the lights.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea, from what I understand the o shaded in is lite, nothing shaded is medium and the d shaded is strong. That is consistent with other Rigotti reeds i have. I was surprised at the 4 lites too. (as were the Rigotti people!)

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I am a huge Rigotti ("Gold"/"Jazz") fan, and have most always had great and consistent quality/strength (and playability!) in every box of their reeds. I've never found reeds marked incorrectly vis a vis the box marking. But I did find, a while back, that some baritone reeds were very clearly the wrong strength, despite their marking. I posted on here about it if you want to look it up. In addition to their being obviously the wrong strength, I found it odd that they were "French file cut", which I had never seen on Rigotti reeds.
Some of their "branding" gets me (and other players) pretty confused. "Jazz", "Gold", be it on the box or the reed, seems to vary with... what? Perhaps the phases of the moon? They do talk about curing the cane with respect to the moon on they website.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I received a box of Rigotti Gold 2.5 Hard tenor reeds recently that had three reeds that are marked 2.5 soft.

·
Registered
166 Posts
When I ordered a box marked "strong", "medium" or "soft" - I have never received anything other than labeled on box.
I know they are on sale unmarked with a word, but only a number (2 1/2 , 3 etc.), in those boxes are mixed variants of the same number (for example 3pcs of strong, 3pcs medium, 4pcs soft).
But in this case it is probably a human mistake, I believe.

·
23,023 Posts
Glad to see they were willing to replace them!

Just out of curiosity, when you play them are they noticeably softer than the 2.5 strong reeds?

Some years back when I first started playing the Rigottis I found both the 2.5 light & med reeds to be significantly softer than the 2.5 strong. A bigger difference than I would have expected. OTOH, I find the 3 lights to be only a bit stronger than 2.5 strong (but it's still noticeable).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,772 Posts
I'm embarrassed to admit that I never noticed the shading on the word before...I just thought it was weird that they didn't label the reeds.

That seems like a pretty needlessly obtuse way to do it, but I guess now I know.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,878 Posts
strong or light only exist for certain market , they don’t exist in the NL ( we only have the numbers not the designation strong or light) so it may very well be that they are labelled differently for different countries.

·
23,023 Posts
strong or light only exist for certain market , they don’t exist in the NL ( we only have the numbers not the designation strong or light) so it may very well be that they are labelled differently for different countries.
Yes, this has been pointed out before. The question it raises is where does each numbered size, without the light-med-strong breakdown, fit? I'd assume in the 'medium' range (i.e. a 2.5 reed in the NL would be equivalent to 2.5 medium), but who knows? In any case, you just have to find the size that you prefer, no matter how the labeling is done.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
not a huge difference from lite to medium but i do feel that medium to strong is more noticeable. The strongs are not working for me but the mediums seem to be good. The lite was good right out of the box but died out quicker as to be expected. I have much better altissimo with lighter reeds.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts