Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to try Robertos reeds for alto and tenor, however I'm in need of recommendations in regards to the correct strength. There is a chart on Robertos website, and I know I can call them for strength recommendations. However, based on the threads I've found, it seems that those who have tried the reeds find them to be a little different, strength wise, than the chart indicates.

I'm using Rigotti Gold 2.5 Strong and 3.0 Light. So I'd like to get strength recommendations from anyone who's used Rigotti Gold and is now using Robertos reeds. Or anyone whose actually made the comparison.

I also used Lupifaro Jazz Cut reeds, but can no longer find them in the states. So I'd like to try Robertos. At least they are available state side, if only from one source.

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
My limited experience with Roberto's reeds indicates that they are slightly harder than Rig. Gld. I would guess that Roberto's 2.5 strong would equal Rigotti's 3 light.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
I'd like to try Robertos reeds for alto and tenor, however I'm in need of recommendations in regards to the correct strength. There is a chart on Robertos website, and I know I can call them for strength recommendations. However, based on the threads I've found, it seems that those who have tried the reeds find them to be a little different, strength wise, than the chart indicates.

I'm using Rigotti Gold 2.5 Strong and 3.0 Light. So I'd like to get strength recommendations from anyone who's used Rigotti Gold and is now using Robertos reeds. Or anyone whose actually made the comparison.

I also used Lupifaro Jazz Cut reeds, but can no longer find them in the states. So I'd like to try Robertos. At least they are available state side, if only from one source.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Robertos has a 800 number- my advise is call them- They know all the info you need and...the exacts on sizing.Phone: (212) 391-1315

The cane is great and....Roberto is a class act.

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
334 Posts
My limited experience from a single box of Roberto's against Rigotti Gold which I have been playing for years is the same as chkbon's. They seem a bit more resistant. I got my Roberto's on a trip years ago to NY and I directly asked Roberto who told me they were the same so I did buy the same strength. I wished I would have bought them a tad softer though.

In my opinion if you play 2.5 Strong Rigotti, consider getting RW 2.5 light. Perhaps if you also play 3.0 light, you can get a 2.5 strong and compare.

They are nice reeds. Like a darker version of Rigotti's. A good alternative if that is the sound you want.

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
528 Posts
I've been playing a box of Rigotti Gold 3.5 soft and a Roberto's 3.5 soft side by side. Roberto's reeds sound fuller and part of that is a slightly more resistant, less free blowing feel. It is possible this feels like they are a tad harder, but I find their strengths to be pretty close when one samples the variability that occurs in each box. If you are comfortable with adjusting reeds, I would stick with the same strength and if the reed feels a bit too resistant make a minor adjustment.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Roberto's only come in numbers in increments of 1/2 strength with no Light, Medium, Strong. I like the fact they seem a tad/darker full than Rigotti Gold. Still not sure if Roberto's 3 lasts as long as RG 3 Light, but then again my latest box of RG is not as consistent nor as long-lasted as prior boxes. It may have to do with the fact I am now playing into the altissimo range a bit more.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Funny, it the buttons show the soft/medium/hard but the picture shows a box with of 3 1/2 tenor sax reeds with no sub-strength indicated.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the helpful replies.

On Tim's suggestion, I placed a call to Roberto's and spoke with a sales rep. on reeds strength comparison. He said HIS experience is that Roberto's reeds are a little SOFTER than the Rigotti Gold of the same strength marking. The example he gave was Rigotti Gold 2.5 Strong would equal a Roberto's 3 Soft. This is contrary to post that I've read here.

The sales rep. suggested MIXING a box of Roberto's reeds in order to try different strengths. This is a GREAT option, which I was not aware of, and will definitely take advantage of . This option is not available on the website. It is only available when placing a phone order, or in the store.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts