Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Better or more consistent then most others? Worth the extra money? Long lasting? How many would say these are the HOLY GRAIL of reeds and worth a try? Is this a brighter reed? Darker? More core to the sound? Any positive experiences worth sharing? Thanks

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
These are very good reeds. They do not come perfectly balanced, as some have suggested in other threads, but you can get almost all of them to play well with a little adjusting. The cane is good, and they are fairly long-lasting. They are relatively inexpensive, since you get 10 in a box. I like both the sound and response, although they feel like they have a thicker cut/tip than what I am used to. I would describe them as rich and powerful, or thick with a nice jazzy edge. These are not the Holy Grail of reeds for me, but they are among my top three or four favorites. I recommend giving them a try.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,877 Posts
Better consistency AND definitely longer lasting for me. They are definitely Darker than Rico Royal but not stuffy. Only about 4 bucks a box more than Royals or Lavoz. I think worth it. Strengths are incremented nicely light, med and strong in each strength. Once I found my size they are my #1 reed.
I'm a dark player with an Extra Dark Saxscape

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,903 Posts
Definitely worth the money. Very consistent and very long lasting. Much better than most brands. Similar to François Louis, only slightly buzzier. I like them a lot.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,316 Posts
I agree that there isn't a Holy Grail of reeds. I like the RG reeds and find them more consistent than others but not perfect. I do not think they are more expensive - at least not at WWBW, where they are significantly cheaper than at some other places I've seen. Remember, you get 10 in a box.

·
1,404 Posts
Wow. I didn't know there were so many others playing these. I switched to them a few months ago and love them. I generally use 3S, M, or H depending on the mpc. They're a great tenor reed. I'm not as strongly sold on the altos however. It's a tough call between Rigotti and Hemke on alto.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Better or more consistent then most others? Worth the extra money? Long lasting? How many would say these are the HOLY GRAIL of reeds and worth a try? Is this a brighter reed? Darker? More core to the sound? Any positive experiences worth sharing? Thanks
My answers, in the order of your questions:
-In my experience, yes.
-What extra money? For the same number of reeds, these are cheaper than RJS, VanDoren, and about 1/2 the price of Alexander.
-Holy Grail is a bit strong (but only a BIT) and ABSOLUTELY worth a try!!
-I find them to be a slightly brighter than other reeds.
-No (but YMMV)
-Good core to the sound.
-The best thing is that they have 3 strengths for each half-size (like RJS) so that you can really fine tune the strength that you need.

I've switched to Rigotti for tenor, alto, and soprano. Their bari reeds run way harder than their other reeds, so I haven't found the Rigotti bari reed that works for me yet (although I'll be trying some 2.5 Med on bari soon)

While few reeds are perfectly balanced right out of the box (and who would expect them to be), these are very, very good and very, very consistent.

What mouthpiece/reed combination are you using now, and what change would you like to make in your sound (if any)? I'll try to recommend a good strength for you to start with.

JB

·
Registered
853 Posts
I've heard great things about these. I've played on Regal Queen reeds a lot, and I'm told it's the same company and cane stock as Rigotti. The cane is consistently high quality.

Is there a good strength comparison chart for Rigotti Gold? I have no idea what strength I'd need.

·
1,877 Posts
I've heard great things about these. I've played on Regal Queen reeds a lot, and I'm told it's the same company and cane stock as Rigotti. The cane is consistently high quality.

Is there a good strength comparison chart for Rigotti Gold? I have no idea what strength I'd need.
In comparison a Rico Royal 3 or Lavoz Med is equal to a 2 1/2 Strong Rigotti for me

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,124 Posts
I love them, use them for almost a year now - rigotti gold 3 and 3,5. Consistent - and very affordable. I order them on line through a French music store. Use them on alto too - the Classic Cut 3,5 in combination with a Brilhart 3*. These a stiffer, work well for me on the small tip.

Now, let's keep this to ourselves ok? Before demand depletes the cane supply in the Provence....

Reine

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
i need to pick up some new reeds soon, just wanted to say there's a lot of good info in the thread! Thanks....

·
Registered
853 Posts
I just bought a couple of boxes of Rigotti Gold for tenor and am happy to report that I'm very pleased. :) :)

Like Regal Queen, every single one of the reeds looks to have super-high quality cane, with that rich golden yellow color and dense uniform fibers. They all looked very symmetrical too, with textbook vamp shape and uniform heels. The tables are smooth and well polished. I was actually blown away just by how nice they looked. I can't remember ever opening a box of 10 reeds and ALL of them looking that great.

The very first reed I tried was one of the best I've played in a long time. I guessed a strength of 3.5 light and it seems to be just right. It's very responsive with a nice resonant voice and balance of harmonics, but enough "wood" so it's not buzzy and wild. It was just a touch too hard to play out of the box, but only to the extent that it will settle into something perfect for me after 3 days of playing or so.

The 2nd reed I tried wasn't great, but it seems to be a balance issue where I may be able to adjust it into something good. The 3rd reed I tried played exactly like the 1st reed, only slightly softer. So far 2 out of the first 3 reeds are fantastic.

In terms of cut and playability, Rigotti Gold reminds me of really really good Rico Select Jazz. The Regal Queens are softer and buzzier. Considering how inexpensive these are, I think they're both a must try. If you like Rico, Superials, Javas, LaVoz, try the Regal Queen. If you like Rico Royal, V-16's, RSJ, ZZ's and Alexander DC's, try Rigotti Gold.

·
1,596 Posts
I personally love these reeds. they respond great and have a great tone. i find these to be like a mix between a great Green/Red JAVA. Every reed in the box is usable I only find about 2-3 reeds that are difficult to use but are usable! Thats totally unlike the dead Vandoren's which are just plain dead But they are totally worth it and they cost less then Vandoren's as well.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I've been playing these almost a month now, after using some various things including plasticover and Fibracell which I liked fairly well.

I sure do like these Rigotti Gold, I'm on the .102 Saxscape prototype using medium-strong. A bit resistant at first on my setup, but broken in they play nice.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.