Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, my current setup is Rico Jazz Select 3 Soft Filed with RPC .85 MP. I want to try Rigotti Gold which strength should I get? My new MP that's coming is .80 so... What do you think?

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
1,804 Posts
Hi guys, my current setup is Rico Jazz Select 3 Soft Filed with RPC .85 MP. I want to try Rigotti Gold which strength should I get? My new MP that's coming is .80 so... What do you think?
I don't have any experience with Rigotti, so I can't give you any insights regarding that.

What is your new mouthpiece? Reed strength would depend a lot on more than just the tip opening.

Maybe see how your current reeds work on the new piece...a good rule of thumb is to test mouthpieces with a new reed that hasn't been played a lot on the old mouthpiece...

·
Registered
645 Posts
If you use 3S on Rico, then try 3S for Rigotti. They seem to be fairly similar. If you're concerned, though, order one box of 3S reeds and a box of 3M reeds to see which one you prefer.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,903 Posts
If you use 3S on Rico, then try 3S for Rigotti. They seem to be fairly similar. If you're concerned, though, order one box of 3S reeds and a box of 3M reeds to see which one you prefer.
Actually it's 3L (Light). A Rigotti 3S is a 3 Strong, so harder than a 3 Medium. Confusing, I know, but that's how Rigotti labels them.

·
Registered
683 Posts
+1 for 3L.
The cut of the Rigottis is a bit different from RSJ though. When I changed to Rigottis I went down half a strength which worked fine.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
42,184 Posts
how strange the Rigotti gold that I buy are showing the more conventional strength measures in 2-2,5-3-3,5

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,322 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
42,184 Posts
I don’t know why that is, I also would like a system dividing in thirds rather then halves

·
Registered
133 Posts
I also use RJS 3 Soft for jazz/band. I use Rigotti for classical and found that I needed to go to 3 Strong to get the sound I wanted.
But I like a small tip opening. Around .70 for jazz and .65 for classical.
You need to keep trying reeds to get the right one. That's why we all have a drawer full of old reeds. :toothy10:

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I actually want to get Rigotti because Neff uses them a lot. haha

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
35,494 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
35,494 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
1,804 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Neff practices a lot.
I think you misunderstood me. I'm not saying I want to get them because Neff sounds good on them.. He could sound good on any reed as South said. I was talking about every time I hear one of his reviews he says " using a Rigotti reed " basically he just persuaded me because I kept hearing it, and I want to try them to see how they are. Are they mainly for classical? Because Neff uses it for Jazz.. So..

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,322 Posts
I think you misunderstood me. I'm not saying I want to get them because Neff sounds good on them.. He could sound good on any reed as South said. I was talking about every time I hear one of his reviews he says " using a Rigotti reed " basically he just persuaded me because I kept hearing it, and I want to try them to see how they are. Are they mainly for classical? Because Neff uses it for Jazz.. So..
Wow! When you say it like that, I'm thinking I should get all my Rigotti reeds for free for the price of advertising!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow! When you say it like that, I'm thinking I should get all my Rigotti reeds for free for the price of advertising!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
You should haha! I bet I wasn't the only one.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts