Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put up an article with sound clips today on some of the differences that occur when using different reed strengths. I put up 6 sound clips playing the Rigotti Gold reeds strengths between 2 1/2 and 3 on a Phil-Tone Mosaic mouthpiece that I am trying this week. A lot of you guys already know all this stuff but I thought it might be interesting to some that don't know as much about the differences reed strengths can have on tone and other aspects of playing. I'm sure I'm forgetting some things in the article so if you think of anything or hear anything in the clips feel free to comment about it. http://www.neffmusic.com/blog/2014/05/rigotti-gold-reed-strength-comparison/ Thanks, Steve

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,120 Posts
Still, kind of a narrow range -- could you try a 3 1/2 ?

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,903 Posts
Still, kind of a narrow range -- could you try a 3 1/2 ?
I agree. I am playing some Rigotti Gold 3 1/2s on my Ted Klum Focustone 0.108 right now and they sound superb! Until now my usually strength has been 3M at the most.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,887 Posts
I was surprised at how similar they all sounded, but that may be partly because it's a recording. I really think, within reason, the main difference in reed strengths is more to do with how the reeds play, feel, and how long they last, than any big difference in sound. At least with reeds you can play at all.

In terms of 'playability', the range from 2.5 light up through 3.5 strong is actually pretty wide. I found a noticeable difference between 2.5 medium and 2.5 strong, in terms of how they play; the 2.5 med seemed too soft. Same thing, but less so, going from 2.5 strong up to 3.5 light; those both play well for me, but I can tell a difference in feel. Maybe not sound wise.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Interesting.
The first one, 2.5 light seemed recorded at a lower level....was it? that could throw things off.

In any case, comparing it to 3 medium, what you hear is that the body of the tone holds up better esp in the upper registers...its just a more solid or "there" sound to it, but also a bit colder?, as you get into g2 and up.

otoh, the harmonics of some of the 2.5 were really nice...but perhaps too much of a trade off?

Maybe the 2.5 strong was the sweet spot to my ear

·
13,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting.
The first one, 2.5 light seemed recorded at a lower level....was it? that could throw things off.

In any case, comparing it to 3 medium, what you hear is that the body of the tone holds up better esp in the upper registers...its just a more solid or "there" sound to it, but also a bit colder?, as you get into g2 and up.

otoh, the harmonics of some of the 2.5 were really nice...but perhaps too much of a trade off?

Maybe the 2.5 strong was the sweet spot to my ear
No, they were all recorded on the same track and at the same levels. I just kept recording as I changed reeds and then later split up the track into separate tracks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
1,877 Posts
Hey Steve I will check this out. Since you played all the sizes how would you match a #4 Rico or a Med Hard la voz in their strength ? Thanks

·
1,877 Posts
I think you sound great on all the reeds
I agree Christo . . however The harder reed did seem slightly darker . Also your time on the donna lee seemed like it might have been different ....was it hard to articulate the stiffer reed ?? Overall you sound great!

·
13,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Steve I will check this out. Since you played all the sizes how would you match a #4 Rico or a Med Hard la voz in their strength ? Thanks
I'm not sure as I haven't played med hard lavoz or #4 Rico in at least 10-12 years. I'm pretty sure none of the RG sizes I compared come close in hardness to those if I had to guess though...........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts