Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently am playing Vandoren Traditionals size 3. I've been looking into Rigotti Golds but don't know which strength of those would be closest to Vandoren Traditional 3s. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, if you have tried both reeds, let me know which one you preferred and why. Thanks

·
Banned
28,508 Posts
I don't know the hardness comparison but I'm sure that you can find it on some standard reed comparison chart online. I used to play Trads a lot for several years. I have played Rigotti Golds for the past year and usually play 3 or 3.5 depending on the mpc. If you don't know already, they are different in the sound concept. Trads are a dark classical reed and Rigotti Golds are a much brighter reed, depending on the mpc you are using. Trads can never play bright but Rigotti Golds can play quite bright. So it really depends on the sound you want to get, and if the Trads are a sign that you prefer a dark sound then you won't be happy with the Golds IMO. Years ago I tried ZZ and V16 reeds and found them too bright for my concept back then. The Rigotti Golds would have been the same. These days I like the sound of these 3 reeds and play them all. I no longer play Trad reeds because I find that sound too dead for my style now. I hope this gives you some help, but remember I am just one person and others may have other experiences with them because as always YMMV and no reed will perform the same for everyone especially when they play different mouthpieces and saxes.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,215 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Alex, it depends very much WHICH Rigotti you are talking about, the Jazz or the Classical, there's a big difference in hardness between the two cuts. I presume, by your signature, that we are talking about Alto reeds?
If you are talking Rigotti Classical, then I think a 3 medium would be a good place to start if you have been playing a Vandoren Blue Box 3.
If you are talking about the Jazz cut, you might have to go up to a 3.5 or higher.

·
Forum Contributor 2012-2015
1,325 Posts
That chart has RR3=V16 3
imo, more like RR3=V16 2.5
I wouldn't put too much stock in that chart. A lot of discrepancies there IMO. But then again, I don't remember ever seeing one of these that I thought was worth a plugged nickel. Just compare any two and you'll see what I mean.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DaveR, I am speaking of the "Rigotti Gold" reeds. I was not aware there was a classical or jazz cut for the "Gold" cut. I could be wrong though.

·
Distinguished SOTW member
4,679 Posts
I don't think I've ever seen a comparison chart for different brand reeds that was accurate.
Those within the same brand seem OK.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
DaveR, I am speaking of the "Rigotti Gold" reeds. I was not aware there was a classical or jazz cut for the "Gold" cut. I could be wrong though.
Google is your friend :whistle:

They recently released a classic cut here: http://www.reedsonline.fr/contents/en-uk/p266.html
Or the Jazz cut here, which is they call Rigotti Gold : http://www.reedsonline.fr/contents/en-uk/p69.html

If you are really talking about the Jazz cut, then, as I already said, you need at least a (whole) half strength harder.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts