Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently ordered three Rigotti Gold reeds for my tenor and liked a couple of them so much that I ordered ten more. The new reeds have the added word "Jazz" marked on them and seem to play differently from the original three. The box they came in says nothing about "Jazz" on it.

Looking around with Google I see that some Rigotti reeds are labeled "Classic."

So my question: Are "Classic" Rigotti Gold reeds and plain old Rigotti reeds the same, and different from Rigotti Gold reeds also marked "Jazz," in other words, are there just two kinds of Rigotti Gold reeds, (1) Classic and (2) Jazz, or are there three Rigotti Gold reeds, (1) reeds marked simply Rigotti Gold, (2) reeds marked Rigotti Gold Classic, and (3) reeds marked Rigotti Gold Jazz?

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
471 Posts
As far as i can remember the Gold series are the Jazz ones and unfiled (in a blue box), and the red box is the Classic ones and filed.On my alto i remember that a 3(soft) gold series reed was,thiner than a 2 Java reed...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,893 Posts
I just ordered several three-packs of these from "Advantage USA". Two packs of tenor Gold, one pack of alto Gold. On the website the alto reeds were distinguished as having a "jazz" cut, where the others were plain old "Gold". The alto reeds were invoiced as Gold "Jazz". But they arrived in the same kind of blue packaging as the tenor reeds, and are not stamped "Jazz" on the back. All of them are unfiled.

I know that doesn't answer your question, but I had the same question before I ordered. They also sell Rigotti "Classic" reeds. I figured "Jazz" cut meant unfiled, and "classic" meant filed. But maybe they're marketing a brighter version of the Gold reeds.

Something I learned on another thread is that for the Golds, each strength # comes in soft, medium or hard, and you can tell by looking at the word "Gold" stamped on the reed. IIRC, a filled-in "O" is soft; no filled in letters is medium, and a filled in "D" is hard. So you might look at the "Gold" and see strength you are actually playing, it might be different from what you were expecting.

·
Registered
51 Posts
As far as i can remember the Gold series are the Jazz ones and unfiled (in a blue box), and the red box is the Classic ones and filed.On my alto i remember that a 3(soft) gold series reed was,thiner than a 2 Java reed...
I'm switching between Java Red 3s and Rigotti Gold 3 hards at the moment, and I can confirm that the Gold Rigotti reeds are unfiled.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Both gold and gold jazz cut are unfiled, but the jazz cut has thicker tip and thinner middle section to give it more edge.
I m not sure about the Rigotti Regal Queen though.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Both gold and gold jazz cut are unfiled, but the jazz cut has thicker tip and thinner middle section to give it more edge.
I m not sure about the Rigotti Regal Queen though.
Can someone post a link to a site that shows/sells these different reeds? I've used the Golds on tenor which I sometimes see advertised by dealers as "a jazz cut" reed and I've seen the Regals though I've never tried those. I haven't found a dealer that sells both the Golds and some other "special jazz cut" reed. Even Rigotti's own site doesn't show a "jazz" reed.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
All the marketing/terminology is becoming very confusing with Rigotti (although I still think they are among the best reeds out there for sax in terms of sound and consistency).
I just bought my first Rigotti baritone reeds, # 2 1/2 Strong, and they say "Jazz" on them (I forget if it's on the box or the reeds or both). They are also FILED. This is the first time I've ever seen a file cut Rigotti reed. I've been buying their tenor reeds for years. Some say "Gold", some say "Jazz", they all play the same (fantastic), and none were ever filed.
I've never seen a Rigotti reed that said "Classic" on it or on the box.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I just looked at the box for these baritone Rigottis and it says "Rigotti Gold".
The reeds say "Jazz - Rigotti - GOLD" on them and like I said, they are "French file-cut".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts