Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm a huge fan of the lighter blue box of Rigotti Gold bari reeds, but they don't seem to be available anywhere for the past 2 years. Just to clarify, I mean the filed ones without "Jazz" on the box as in this image (they are indeed filed, contrary to the box art)

Does anyone know if these reeds have been discontinued? I've been trying to get the new "Jazz" reeds to work as well through about 3 boxes now, but it's been a bit frustrating. The other day I even pulled out used filed Rigottis I happened to keep from a while back and they played a lot more easily, which inspired me to ask here.

If these reeds are actually gone, could someone please recommend a similar brand? I hear good things about Boston Sax Shop and that their reeds are similar to Rigotti; any input?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,652 Posts
I seem them in stock here at Weiner Music, where I usually get my reeds from...

Not sure if they ship to Canada, or if it would be prohibitively expensive to do so. But it doesn't seem to me like that product has been discontinued. I could be mistaken.

·
Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
3,336 Posts
Hi all,

I'm a huge fan of the lighter blue box of Rigotti Gold bari reeds, but they don't seem to be available anywhere for the past 2 years. Just to clarify, I mean the filed ones without "Jazz" on the box as in this image (they are indeed filed, contrary to the box art)
Does anyone know if these reeds have been discontinued? I've been trying to get the new "Jazz" reeds to work as well through about 3 boxes now, but it's been a bit frustrating. The other day I even pulled out used filed Rigottis I happened to keep from a while back and they played a lot more easily, which inspired me to ask here.

If these reeds are actually gone, could someone please recommend a similar brand? I hear good things about Boston Sax Shop and that their reeds are similar to Rigotti; any input?

Thanks!
I don't know how old your box is, but I have a couple of old boxes of soprano and alto reeds with exactly the the packaging pictured in your post (i.e., from back when the reeds were in soft blue plastic sheets). These reeds are identical to the ones in the newer "The Blue One" packaging. If you don't like those, you can try the "The Red One" (formerly known as Rigotti Gold "Classic" reeds). I've never seen a filed Rigotti reed.

The Boston Sax Shop reeds are made from the same cane (i.e., they are manufactured by the Rigotti company), but they use a different cut.

Edit: my mistake; the red box Rigotti's (formerly "Gold Classic", now called "The Red One") are filed. I've never used these, which is why I'd never seen a filed Rigotti reed.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
5,409 Posts
The Rigotti Gold Jazz reeds (which are now and always have been un-filed) are now called “the blue one.” I don’t know about bari or shipping to Canada, but they’re available/ in stock at Weiner, Musicians Friend, GC, and a bunch of other outlets for alto and tenor.

The Rigotti Gold Classic reeds (which are filed) are now called “the red one.” I’ve been on these on tenor since January and love them!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
43,457 Posts
the Rigotti site shows still the same reeds, I have to say that they ( at least in the NL come in the blue box but have the designation Jazz on the reed itself while I purchase the “ regular” blue box) these are not the ONLY differences with products sold abroad

for example we have never had anything else than whole sizes and half sizes , but never de designations hard and soft which other people (in the American continent ) talk about

·
Registered
2,747 Posts

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
I frankly wish they'd do away with the "Strong - Medium - Light" classification, or just use whole numbers like D'Addario Select Jazz. What is the difference, for example, between 2 1/2 Strong and 3 Light? Having used both of those, there isn't much difference.

I think that most reeds vary more than the difference between these grades. I've had 2 1/2 Strong reeds that are noticeably harder than 3 Light reeds. It's just a minor annoyance, but I'd like to know the real meaning of these designations. Do Strong reeds have a thicker stock than Light ones? Does something else besides "hardness" go into these designations?

FWIW this is the only defect I find in Rigotti reeds, they are my reed of choice :).

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
5,409 Posts
I frankly wish they'd do away with the "Strong - Medium - Light" classification, or just use whole numbers like D'Addario Select Jazz. What is the difference, for example, between 2 1/2 Strong and 3 Light? Having used both of those, there isn't much difference.

I think that most reeds vary more than the difference between these grades. I've had 2 1/2 Strong reeds that are noticeably harder than 3 Light reeds. It's just a minor annoyance, but I'd like to know the real meaning of these designations. Do Strong reeds have a thicker stock than Light ones? Does something else besides "hardness" go into these designations?

FWIW this is the only defect I find in Rigotti reeds, they are my reed of choice :).
I find the strengths of the Rigotti reeds in the light, medium, strong to be a lot more closely dialed in than a box of Vandoren or Rico for example where you get all the variants across the number strength. Of course it's not an exact science and perhaps they only really need two subdivisions like light and strong, but I know from testing that I find more happiness in a box of 3.5 M rigotti's than a box of 3.5 Vandoren or Ricos. And yes, an email or simply reading about Rigotti's different offerings will tell you that most of the European market receives reeds without the L, M, S options, just the basic numbers like Vandoren and others so more variance in a box.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
This comment doesn't make any sense to me. It's like wishing that some other reed company got rid of half strengths. If the finer gradations don't make any difference to you, then great! You've got more to choose from; just randomly select a strength from the range that you find interchangeable.

For me, this system of fine gradations is one of the features that I prefer about Rigotti.

I'm sure that the first sentence above is true, but it's also true of any other brand/cut of reed. The difference with Rigotti in my experience is just that the range of variability is smaller with this system.

The reed stock for all gradations is of the same thickness. The meaning of the designations is simply a difference in hardness as measured by static deflection. They are simply finer gradations in hardness.

Again, it baffles me that this can be viewed by anyone as a "defect". I don't even see how it can be a minor inconvenience.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
24,879 Posts
I also don't notice much difference between the Rigotti Gold 2.5 strong and 3 light. Doesn't bother me, though. I started ordering boxes of both sizes to see if I could eventually settle on one or the other. That hasn't happened since I find plenty of great reeds in both sizes.

OTOH, I also have a box of 3 medium and they definitely seem harder than the 3 light. Slightly harder than I prefer. However, I only tried 3 or 4 of those and still have the rest of the box. Maybe I'll pull out the rest and see if they are all as noticeably harder than the 3 lights. I'll report back on that later.

Bottom line, once you dial in the size (or sizes) you prefer, just use them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I seem them in stock here at Weiner Music, where I usually get my reeds from...

Not sure if they ship to Canada, or if it would be prohibitively expensive to do so. But it doesn't seem to me like that product has been discontinued. I could be mistaken.
Thanks for showing me this link. I actually called them because of the limited availability message, and it unfortunately turns out that this type of reed has been discontinued. Now they only offer the ones with Jazz on the box.

For everyone saying that the reeds were never filed, here are images comparing the old filed reeds I have with the newer Jazz ones. I believe the filed ones were bought from WWBW and a few other places from 2016-2019.

Link to imgur album with images

I think I'll try out the Red reeds as well as Boston Sax Shop's; hopefully they are similar to the filed blue box that were really great!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
First, I apologize for high jacking the thread. It wasn’t about reed strengths, but that’s what I went off on. 😞

I’ll just say that, IMO, 6 gradations per strength number is too many. I applaud the attempt at precision, but I think it’s misguided. For one thing, static deflection is not a very good predictor of reed response characteristics - it will get you in the ball park, but won’t specify what base you are on, so to speak. For another, specifically in Rigotti’s case, there is too much overlap between sizes.

1/4 strengths might be OK, but we did fine with 1/2 strengths for many years. Less than 100 years ago, when you bought reeds, there was NO strength marking. (Before that, you had to start with a stalk of cane…) It’s all an attempt to make something organic fit tightly into a particular classification. Reeds, like people, are individuals, and this attempt will fail.

OK, I’ve derailed this thread enough, with the incoherent ramblings of an old man. Looks like the OP has a plan of action, so I’ll shut up now.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
24,879 Posts
Well I'm still a bit confused regarding the topic of this thread. In answer to the title question, NO the Rigotti Gold reeds have not been discontinued (unless it happened very recently, since I last ordered a few boxes). They have changed the design on the box at least once since I've been buying them, but as far as I can tell the reeds haven't changed. I don't really remember the box pictured in the OP, but the older boxes I have say Rigotti Gold, with the term "Jazz" on the box. The newer ones say "The Blue One" with "gold" next to a pic of a sax and "Rigotti" at the bottom. Both boxes contain reeds that are filed, assuming "filed" means the top of the bark is curved in a broad U-shape. I don't really care what the box looks like.

I could add a couple of photos of the boxes I'm talking about if requested.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Well I'm still a bit confused regarding the topic of this thread. In answer to the title question, NO the Rigotti Gold reeds have not been discontinued (unless it happened very recently, since I last ordered a few boxes). They have changed the design on the box at least once since I've been buying them, but as far as I can tell the reeds haven't changed. I don't really remember the box pictured in the OP, but the older boxes I have say Rigotti Gold, with the term "Jazz" on the box. The newer ones say "The Blue One" with "gold" next to a pic of a sax and "Rigotti" at the bottom. Both boxes contain reeds that are filed, assuming "filed" means the top of the bark is curved in a broad U-shape. I don't really care what the box looks like.
The OP is talking about an older version of the box. During my time using the reeds, the boxes have gone though at least three designs:

in that order. To me (on S/A/T), the reeds from the three different box designs all play the same.

The OP is looking for reeds in a box design like that in the first picture, and claiming that the reeds in the updated box designs play differently. Also, what he means by "filed" is a "French file cut" with part of the bark stripped away (like on Vandoren blue box or Rico royal reeds).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
mmichel put it succintly, thanks for clarifying.

FWIW, the cut of the reeds in the two boxes is different, which would explain them playing differently for me.
I'll just embed the images (these) from my last post here so it's easier to see. The close-up shot in the second image is of the old box's reeds, which have the French file cut:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.