Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone any experience with Rigotti reeds for bari sax? If so, could you comment on their strength compare to any other cane reed? I'm looking for about the strength of a Rico Orange 3 (before it softens up much) or Hemke 2.5. Thanks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,904 Posts
I have found them to be pretty stiff for their supposed strength.
The 2.5’s I currently have feel like a 4 rico Royal to me.
I’ve only every had the one box so maybe I just wasn’t lucky.
Personally I wouldn’t buy them again as they feel like a dead reed for me.
Love them on Tenor though.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I have had exactly the same experience as B Flat described. As much as I love, and use, Rigottis on Alto and Tenor I can not get them to work for me on Bari.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
I have found them to be pretty stiff for their supposed strength.
The 2.5’s I currently have feel like a 4 rico Royal to me.
I’ve only every had the one box so maybe I just wasn’t lucky.
Personally I wouldn’t buy them again as they feel like a dead reed for me.
Love them on Tenor though.
I have had exactly the same experience as B Flat described. As much as I love, and use, Rigottis on Alto and Tenor I can not get them to work for me on Bari.
+1 for me as well. I think part of it is just that the reeds are cut differently. I can play 3M or even 3 1/2 Ricos (Orange box and Royals) with little issue but find 2 1/2 Vandorens or Rigottis hard by comparison. My opinion is that most of the reed makers are using a cut that is more like a bass clarinet reed for their bari reeds and so they just don't flex right across a mouthpiece with a wider tip opening and longer facing. In cane I gave up on everything but Ricos long ago for bari as they've become too expensive to just buy a box to try. I typically play cane but also use Fibracel and Forestone synthetics on occasion as well.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good thing I decided NOT to buy some along with the alto and tenor Rigotti order. Also resisted buying Rigotti soprano reeds as nothing but nothing plays as well as Vandoren blue box on soprano for me. Someday I might try the Rigotti Classic on soprano if I get bored.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I just today bought some Rigotti Gold 3M, and to me they feel pretty close to Select Jazz 3S. Sample size of 2 for Rigotti vs a bunch of Select Jazz in all strengths.

Need to play more to decide whether I like them, unfortunately very little time for sax at the moment.

I've been happy with Select Jazz for quite a while on tenor & bari. On tenor the Rigotti felt very similar to play, I just personally preferred the sound of SJ by a small margin. But I love both on tenor.

On bari, the Rigotti feels very different, compared to the perceived similarity of the two brands on tenor. Rigotti is more resistant, and sounds.... quite different. In a good way, maybe. My bari setup is otherwise very freeblowing, small amount of resistance may be even welcomed. Jury's still out!

Side note: interestingly, Rigotti doesn't appear to do very well on the suction "pop test", whereas Select Jazz tend to hold vacuum for a good while.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,808 Posts
I'm new to playing bari & got some 2.5 medium Rigottis because I like them on alto & tenor, and had the same experience as Bob M and BFlat. They didn't seem stiff so much as dead, though. Not very lively reeds, and you expect lively from Rigottis.

The orange-box Ricos and Plasticovers I already had sound & respond better, which surprised me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts